close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fall Crappie

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ohioman76, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ohioman76

ohioman76 Avid Crappie Hunter

Well everyone it's getting to be fall again and I've heard the crappie will be coming in shallow again. Now I've been in Japan for the last seven years and now I'm home doing some recruting. I've never had the opportunity to fish for crappie in the fall. Is it true they will be shallow again, and if so when can I expect the bite to heat up? Also does anyone know of any good spots. I'm not trying to take anyones honeyhole, just trying to get the slabs for the freezer so I can eat during the winter. My 5 year old son need to learn the ropes. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Japan for 7 years! I'd love to talk to you about Japan sometime.

What part of the state are you from? Tappan and Atwood public docks are usually good depending on when the drawdown is.
    Husky could always show you the Ohio River 17" crappies if you don't mind sitting on a dock in 2' of snow.:D

3. Hey ohioman, I spent 3 years in Yokosuka, Japan while in the Navy. Can't really help on the crappies in the Northeast, but here in central and in the Northwest the crappies do move in to the shallows. We catch some slabs at Indian Lake in the pads along the shore.

4. ohioman76

I spent seven years in Yokosuka, Japan also. What ship was you on? I live up here in Boardman, Ohio so I do all my fishing in Mahoning and Trumbull Countie. Where is the lake where I can catch the 17 inch crappies. That would be well worth sitting in two feet of snow. Anyone want to talk Japan fishing let me know. I became somewhat of a resedential expert while over there.

5. First time I was there I was on the flagship, the USS Blue Ridge, then the second time it was on the destroyer USS Fife. We did some fishing while in Japan but alot more while in Australia, Phillipines and Thailand. Caught some big barracudas in Thailand.

6. ohioman76

is still the flagship in Japan. COMSEVENTHFLT. The Fife left Japan a long time ago. I think they went to Florida. I did a lot of fishing in Japan. I caught a fish they call Suzuki. (Seabass). I caught alot of 7 plus pounders. You know any good spots for the Crappie.

7. Nimisila is good for crappie. Have to find them though.

Mosquito is good off the causeway too. They should be hitting up there pretty good.

West Branch is good too. Fish are deeper now. Will move up later in the Fall.

8. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

And if you have a Pa. license, come over to Shenango Lake in Mercer county. Its 20 minutes east of Mosquito. Unlimited hp, big bass, and lots of slab crappies.