close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fall Crappie, Whitebass, Walleye runs?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NorthSouthOhioFisherman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

saw on the maumee website (maumeetackle.net) that there is a fall run for the maumee river including crappie WB and eyes. i also read in a fishing book that the sandusky has the same runs? Anyone heard about this? Any info would be appreciated-thanks nsof :B

2. Ive never heard of a fall walleye "run" in the sandusky river, but i would catch 1 every once in awhile fishing in a deep pool behind the hunted hydro.

And i heard that the crappie were biting a week or to ago at the sandocks, theres a creek that goes out to the river and they are mostly at the mouth of the creek around the stumps.

Northern were do you usally crappie fish at?

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

dont actually do much crappie fishin up here cuz idk where to go lol. In SW ohio i got ot cjb reservoir sometimes in the spring when im down there. (and hey wheres this sandocks place:)) thanks nsof

4. I think you misread what it said. There are some resident walleyes in the river that are easier to catch once the water cools down a bit. The white bass are stick pretty thick in the river, and are all resident fish as well. Between 3 guys, we caught about 50 in 30 or 40 minutes at Weirs Rapids on 9/1 mid-afternoon. They were almost all 5" but still we caught em, using mepps #2 spinners. It was pretty much every-other cast.

I copied this from www.maumeetackle.net :

AS THE RIVER COOLS DURING THE FALL, SMALLIES PUT ON THE FEED BAG. WALLEYES ARE ALSO CAUGHT WITH MORE FREQUENCY. WHITE BASS ARE ALSO PART OF THE FALL ACTION. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS WHITE BASS FISHING HAS IMPROVED DURING THE FALL. SORT OF A FALL RUN. I BELIEVE THESE WHITE BASS ARE RESIDENT FISH AND NOT FROM THE LAKE.

5. The sanddocks is located off of north street, lets see if you take front street all the way up past the sugar plant theres a wierd intersection and youll take a right on north street, follow it all the way back the road will curve to the right and turn into a gravel road follow that and youll be at the sandocks.

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

those fish u caught were white perch. rite now there are trillions literatly of those 5inchers. I read that those WB and Crappie are not resident fish. they come back 4 a second spawing run. hey thanks for sandock loc. nsof

7. white bass are annual spawners, they dont come back for a second spawn in the fall, many fish follow baitfish(shad, shiners) up rivers in the fall. why the baitfish move into the smaller rivers could be a million different reason. as for the fish he caught i wouldn't say they were all white perch, this years white bass are around five inches right now and are thick.

8. They were definately not white perch. I have never caught a white perch in the maumee river. Im not saying that some random ones dont appear, but that was an entire school of little white bass. There are resident white bass in the river, I catch them pretty regularly.

9. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

i bet on it that they were whiteys(i'm competley surprised you've never caught a whitey in MR). The WB from this year are only 2-3in. long i have one in a fishtank rite now. the whiteys from last year are 5in. long b/c u can go anywhere drag an erie derie along the bottom and catch em'

10. jray

jray

white perch have a purple jaw white bass dont hope that helps

11. There are lots of white perch in the maumee. I catch them all the time.

12. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

yeah we no wat they are we are disagreeing on the fact there are whiteys in the MR. We catch em' all the time and ohiogsp sounds like he does 2.

13. they were white bass. I can guarantee that. I am not saying white perch are not in the river. I am saying that I have never caught one in there. Maybe they are not in the spots that I hit up. Perhaps the water is too shallow because I am mainly fishing water that is less than 4' deep.