close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fall bite

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by tcba1987, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i hear alot about the fall bite for catfish, i fish the tuscarawas river and tappan lake alot. how late does the bite last on the river and on the lake ?? ive never fished for cats past september or october. i hear shad is the way to go this time of year , i usually use creek chubs and gills for flatheads, for channels i use shrimp and chicken livers. are those good choices this time of year ???

thanks guys & gals
    brian

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the channels should bite right up till ice,and even through the ice,as well as soon after ice-out.cut shad or big chubs should work good.
    you've got the right bait for flatheads.with chubs or suckers,the bigger,the better.they should be feeding through october.when the water temps get down below 50 they'll slow way down.

3. peon

peon account delete

i catch channels icefishing a good bit of the time on a blue glo ice jig and a wax worm :D

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

If you can get some shad freeze them for winter time channel cats, chicken livers wont work very well in the winter.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

If I'm out this year & the actin is hot in the winter, I'm going to cut off a finger or toe, I figure the blood will be real nice, plsu heck I've got 10 of each, plus I have D&D insurance, so I'll have a good chance to get a nice channel plus a few hundred $ from my insurance. Yes.... in the past I've been that desperate.

6. peon

peon account delete

buckeye toms got some real nice small shad froze for us this winter on the ice.. gonna see if my tip ups can catch channel cats not just bass :D

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

No kiddin? I havent even heard of Shad when winter comes.

8. peon

peon account delete

iv never used anything but waxworms icefishing i will let ya all know how shad works this winter... if i get time to go when we get ice!!! you guys should come out and brave the ice!!!