Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time out since fathers day, 7/5 the wife and i ran out nw to 72fow. all we got were sheep and white bass or white perch not ? pulled lines ran north to 75 fow. fish were marking 50 feet down didnt bother with boards and jets. pulled 10 nice walleye with big dipsy 3 setting 180 back 1 setting 150 back. ol petes chicken wing and silk panties, trolling west got all our fish. man this was the hardest i have had to work for some fish. we came in at 2:30 . but it was a nice day to be out. rockytop (BOB)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rocktop...do you have any guess in miles how far out 75 fow is off Fairport?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bob fairport is and has been my number 1 waypoint stored, heading in it said 9.3 nm. fairport is were i started trolling back in the late 80s. never fished further east. i got a late start sunday 9:30 fished till 2:30. i hope early morning the fish are up higher, for me most of the marks were 50 down few 42 down. now time to go get some 50 jets, wifes going to kill me. rockytop (BOB)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Nice report Bob. I havent fished fairport for about 5 yrs now.
Glad to see there's still walleye in the old stomping grounds.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bill they say the grand river has spawning fish, they come out of the river and these fish head west. but only for a short distance then they loop to the northeast. just 10 days or so the fish were in 59 to 62 fow over night they were in 72 to 75 fow. i think this happend from cleveland all the way to geneva. lots of room to troll at fairport, also lots of dead water like anywhere. i dont get in a hurry to set lines, i look with the finder till things look right. rockytop (BOB)

·
Tom B.
3,889 Posts
Nice going rockytop. Where do you launch? A guy I work with and his friends are paying $10 to launch there, is this the only one? They did equally as well as you Sunday in 75 fow.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Nice going rockytop. Where do you launch? A guy I work with and his friends are paying $10 to launch there, is this the only one? They did equally as well as you Sunday in 75 fow.
We usually launch at Rutherfords Landing next to the stray cats and billy goat.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Rutherfords leaves a pretty long ride out the river and back. I used to use that ramp before the one at the mouth was built. That same lady can't be operating it? Can she? Havn't used that ramp since the early 80's I would guess.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
smallmouth70 as stated we have all set lines and were are the fish, and we will do it again. thats part of fishing to me the hunt is almost as fun as caching. fathers day out of edgewater trolled thru the boats nw of the crib no fish. lots of bait fish and some walleye marks. i went 2 miles ne marked pods of just walleye no bait fish, these were the hungry fish. they were looking for the clouds of baitfish, the fish in the bait were well fed. i launch at the end on the east side of the river. rockytop (BOB)

·
Registered
455 Posts
smallmouth70 as stated we have all set lines and were are the fish, and we will do it again. thats part of fishing to me the hunt is almost as fun as caching. QUOTE]

Yup, I agree. I guess if it was easy to catch them, there wouldn't be any left out there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
She 's still there and she still runs it. She'll be there till she keels over.
Did you see in the paper last week that the Coast Guard rescued an elderly man form the water at Rutherford's Landing? People called the CG and reported an elderly man standing in the water next to a partially submerged lawn tractor who appeared unable to get out of the water.

I'm always kind of sad when I see that big old riverboat leaning over at the dock, sitting on the bottom. I wonder what Rutherford's was like back in it's heyday.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used that ramp a lot in the 70's and 80's before the Port Authority ramp was in. It was always hoppin' at Rutherfords, boats on trailers lined up to get in, boats in the water waiting to ramp out, gas dock and ship store always busy. It is sad to see it now.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,611 Posts
its 5 bucks, and sometimes its free if u clean up the goose crap on the docks. i like going there but the odor is terrible on hot balmy days. really gets my gag reflex going. great bass spots it that area and on the way to the lake. worth the trip up to the lake in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts