close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fairport Peir

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by For my Son, May 20, 2007.

1. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

Spent some time down at the peir last night. The wind was chilly and the catfish where biting. My son caught 3 bullhead and 2 chanel cats. I caught 4 chanel cats. We started at about 7:30pm and finished about 10:00pm.

It was really a lot of fun. Nothing huge but lots of action.

2. devildog#1

devildog#1 hardcore fisherman

Nice! We use to have good luck throwing grubs around the light house for smallies. actually all up and down the rocks up to the lighthouse was good. Haven't been up there in quite a while though.

3. Nice job. I dont hear to many cat reports on Erie

4. For my Son

Well my son is now in my ear every minute of everyday wanting to go back and catch some more. I guess I will have to go down this weekend. Hopefully the fish are still biting.

The great thing about my son is he doesnt care what we catch as long as it is big enough to put a nice bend in his pole. He bought a nice new pole with his birthday money (May 16th) and he wants to hook into something worth the money he spent. LOL

Gotta get my boat running so I can take him out for some walleye. Not that I have ever caught one. LOL

Thanks guys.

5. Sounds like a great time! There are some monster cats in Erie. My buddy caught one that had a belly like a basketball!

6. ddd

ddd

do they ever get any walleye up there from the pier? just curious...

thanks

7. For my Son

I guess from time to time someone will catch one from the pier but not real often that I have heard.

The steelhead bite is awesome in the fall though.

8. Where exactly is Fairport Pier? Anywhere near Cleveland? I've been looking for a place to fish at from shore/pier up at Erie b/c I don't have a boat but would like to fish up at the big pond for a day sometime with some friends. I'd be coming from Canton so something close to, or nearby Cleveland/ I-77 preferably.

9. For my Son

Fairport Pier is not near I-77 really. It is a very short small pier that is next to the Grand river and inside the breakwall.

However if you wanted to fish it
    I-77 to Rt 2 east
    RT 2 to Richmond road exit. The exit loops around back under the highway take it north all the way into Fairport. At the end of the road there is a port authority dock. Park outside the lot(or they charge you to park $5) and walk up the right side of the parking lot. The pier has a paved walk way all the way to the end.

For Lake fishing the Mentor Headlands state park has a much longer break wall that jets out into the lake. Its not as easy a walk but IMO the fishing is better. I just hate walking out there late because of my son. Early morning is no issue for me though.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/headlnds.htm

10. if you want good cattin wait til the big boys move into the rivers to spawn should be coming pretty soon the chagrin and grand both have good numbers.. i usually fish the chagrin because you can see them in the holes. by the the soccer fields are really good and for the grand around the bridge goin into fairport products nice fish

11. yeah if your lookin for the best pier around here id say headlands its about 30 mins. from cleveland, but for cleveland area theres edgewater heres a list of some of the parks in and around cleveland.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/parks/parks/clevelkf.htm

12. For my Son

thanks for the info on the spawning cats.

My son and I just went over to bellflower park. There are some really decent largemouth in there. Again, nothing huge but between us we caught about 20 1-2lbs. It was a blast.

If the rain lets up we will be out tonight looking for those cats again.