Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got out of the house about 6:30 a.m. this morning and on the "Big Pond" by 7:00 a.m.

Stopping at the tackle and bait shop we had told Don how bad the fishing was last weekend. He stated that last weekend up until about Tuesday he was cleaning fish for people and most of the perch had the second half larvae of Midge Flies in their belly, so they weren't that crazy about minnows. He said that since that time people have been limited out consistently.

So, my wife and I got 6 dozen minnows and we should have got 9 dozen. Headed out when only a couple of boats were out there.

From sources at the bait store and at the Port Authority they were telling us to fish in 44 to 55 feet of water. We decided to start in shallow at 44 and then if it wasn't any good we would move out.

More and more boats showed up and were fishing the hump. We were about 1/2 to 1 mile west of the hump in 44 feet of water - temp 72 degrees and it was on.

By the time you got the hook to the bottom and cranked it up one or two spins they were on.

It was a soft bite so you really had to have the rod in your hand and keep lifting it to see if you had one on.

Within 2 1/2 hours we had 42 perch, several jumbos, one sheep head, 2 white bass and a couple white perch, but it was really non-stop to either re-load the hooks or to bring in a fish.

The only reason we came in at 10:00 a.m. is that we ran out of bait and weren't going to go back in and get bait for 18 more perch.

Talking to guys at the dock. One crew got their three man ticket in the same time that we did; they had purchased more minnows. They were in 55 feet of water just north of the pack and another guy on the east side of the pack, approximately the same distance that we were on the west side was pulling doubles and was limiting out.

Waves were probably 1 to 1/2 feet tops and it was just a great morning.

Going out tomorrow, but probably earlier - leave home at 5:30 a.m., get to the bait store by 6:00 a.m. when they open and then off to the same spots.

Mainly 9 to 10 inch fish with some 12's (about 4) of them.

Now is the time to fish the area.

That's my report and I'm sticking to it.

Dale

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice report. They were biting the same way yesterday just off the north edge of the hump. Got up to 56 between the two of us and we ran out of minnows. Size wasn't all that great, but not terrible either. Only 3 or 4 jumbos for us. It was a nice day and much fun trying to feel those suckers bite. I had braid on and I probably caught 40 or more of the 56 we caught. IT really makes a difference when they're biting so light.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the report chardon, I'm glad you finally got the bite and nice lake! We may run up in the morning and give it a try.

·
Retired
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just call CC on Channel 68 if your an OGF member and I'll fill you in.

No one on the hump was sharing info.

Dale

·
beagleboss
158 Posts
we also did very well 2tickets in 2.5 hours. fished in 52' just nw of the base of the hump .I fished 5' off bottom, a little bit larger fish than on the bottom. good luck on sun. By the away chardoncrestliner, don't get discouraged your luck will change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems like everyone was slamming them out of the Harbor and Lagoons today. I got 30 keepers in about two hours (I never keep the squabs). Highlight of the day: pulled a 5lb walleye and then a catfish on consecutive drops, both on a perch rig / ultra light rod. Good times.

FYI - For anyone who hates crowds as much as me, we found massive clouds of fish in 45ft of water due north of FH. There seemed to be a hundred boats packed like sardines around the hump, but we did just fine and there wasn't a boat within a mile of us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went out straight from chagrin river to 44fow . Bait shop said 52fow. Fished 3 people from 10:30 til 2:30. Kept 20 nice Perch, 10 were nice jumbos. Tossed back a good number of smaller ones. A lot of white bass and sheep. When we were leaving because of having to be somewhere , It seemed to be turning on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts