Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with the threat of storms, the wife decided #1 that we should go out and #2 that we should troll.

OK - so off we went about 10:00 a.m. and got on the Lake around 10:30 a.m. Forgot that Mardi Gras was going on so there were a lot of people at that festival.

Don Moore at the bait store said to go out to 35 FOW and that the fish were suspended in around 25 to 28 feet of water.

I don't like to troll; I'm no good at trolling, which will be detailed at the end of this diatribe.

Got out and decided to use the 9.9 HP Mercury kicker motor. That damn engine wouldn't start for at least 10 minutes. Finally, it kicked in and we were trolling at 1.8 to 2.1 mph.

Marked a lot of fish. Don't know what they were, but we were marking them.

So, I hooked up a 2 ounce weight to the wife's line about 6 feet ahead of a worm harness and after consulting my trolling application of the cell phone it said that with a 2 ounce weight at the speed I was going I should be letting about 77 feet of line out. So I did. The pole bent down (wasn't using planer boards) and the wife pulled the harness in and the worm was gone. Decided to adjust the line to 90 feet back. Got a couple more hits, but nothing stayed on the line.

I pulled out a reef runner with a 2 ounce weight and ran that back about 90 feet and nothing.

So, we trolled around for about 2 hours and nothing.

Oh, and at this time the wife was b*itching because I forgot to put the "OFF" in the tackle box and didn't bring the fly swatter. Ever have a domestic situation on an 18 and a half foot boat 2 to 3 miles off shore? Wasn't a pretty site.

So, we're looking south and the rains were quite evident. So, I said let's forget about trolling and head out to the perch area. She didn't want to do that. So the 4 dozen minnow went back into the Lake Erie ecosystem.

So, I said, let's head up the channel to the store just north of Pickle Bills and get a fly swatter and some "OFF." Going up the channel we hit something with the boat. Don't know what it was, but it didn't leave a dent. The water in the channel was like chocolate milk with lots of floating debris. Got to the store and they don't carry "OFF," just gas at $4.01 per gallon. So, I got the wife an ice cream which seemed to slow down the fact that she wanted to kill me. She kept pointing to her ankles and showing me the welts from the bugs that like fresh white meat.

So, we're heading north out of the channel and there is lightning to the northwest of us. I said, "should we stay back or would you like to go in?" Of course, "go in." So I pull up really close to the guy in front of me which happened to have a sailboat with a large mast, hoping that if lightning decided to strike, it would hit his mast.

So, we pull up to the doc and I go for the SUV to get the boat out of the water. I'm like fourth in line and I look over and one of those jet skiers from hell pulled in front of our boat. I could see the wife (I call her the Warden) giving this guy some crap. I could just see it, "When my husband gets here he's going to kick your *ss." So I pull up as he's pulling his jet skis out of the water and he walks up to me in the SUV and he says, "is that your wife?" I said, "Nope, I've never seen that lady in my life." He says, "when I see her husband, I'm going to kick his *ss for the way that she talked to me." I said, "don't go after the husband, you should kick her *ss.

So, I waited until he left the entire dock area until I pulled the SUV up and hooked up the boat. So, she gets in the SUV and we start to pull forward from the docks and she hears this loud screech. She goes, "did you put the engine up?" I said, "yes, do you think I'm stupid?" Never should have said that. So, I opened the door to the SUV and it was screeching from one of the rides at the Mardi Gras.

My dad told me two things that obviously I never listened to. He said, "marry a woman with money and one that is a mute." I did neither.

I mean, what the heck I already get so much sign language from that lady (you know the one finger salute; the old, hey pick the largest finger because that one is yours).

So, who want's to take my wife trolling?

That's my report and I'm sticking to it.

July 4th, 2013 - ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN' NOTHIN'

·
Registered
275 Posts
I always thought it would be nice if my wife would like to go fishing with me, after reading this, I've changed my mind!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
"...the wife decided #1 that we should go out and #2 that we should troll..."

She does know that another day of bliss was her fault.....RIGHT?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Even with the threat of storms, the wife decided #1 that we should go out and #2 that we should troll.

OK - so off we went about 10:00 a.m. and got on the Lake around 10:30 a.m. Forgot that Mardi Gras was going on so there were a lot of people at that festival.

Don Moore at the bait store said to go out to 35 FOW and that the fish were suspended in around 25 to 28 feet of water.

I don't like to troll; I'm no good at trolling, which will be detailed at the end of this diatribe.

Got out and decided to use the 9.9 HP Mercury kicker motor. That damn engine wouldn't start for at least 10 minutes. Finally, it kicked in and we were trolling at 1.8 to 2.1 mph.

Marked a lot of fish. Don't know what they were, but we were marking them.

So, I hooked up a 2 ounce weight to the wife's line about 6 feet ahead of a worm harness and after consulting my trolling application of the cell phone it said that with a 2 ounce weight at the speed I was going I should be letting about 77 feet of line out. So I did. The pole bent down (wasn't using planer boards) and the wife pulled the harness in and the worm was gone. Decided to adjust the line to 90 feet back. Got a couple more hits, but nothing stayed on the line.

I pulled out a reef runner with a 2 ounce weight and ran that back about 90 feet and nothing.

So, we trolled around for about 2 hours and nothing.

Oh, and at this time the wife was b*itching because I forgot to put the "OFF" in the tackle box and didn't bring the fly swatter. Ever have a domestic situation on an 18 and a half foot boat 2 to 3 miles off shore? Wasn't a pretty site.

So, we're looking south and the rains were quite evident. So, I said let's forget about trolling and head out to the perch area. She didn't want to do that. So the 4 dozen minnow went back into the Lake Erie ecosystem.

So, I said, let's head up the channel to the store just north of Pickle Bills and get a fly swatter and some "OFF." Going up the channel we hit something with the boat. Don't know what it was, but it didn't leave a dent. The water in the channel was like chocolate milk with lots of floating debris. Got to the store and they don't carry "OFF," just gas at $4.01 per gallon. So, I got the wife an ice cream which seemed to slow down the fact that she wanted to kill me. She kept pointing to her ankles and showing me the welts from the bugs that like fresh white meat.

So, we're heading north out of the channel and there is lightning to the northwest of us. I said, "should we stay back or would you like to go in?" Of course, "go in." So I pull up really close to the guy in front of me which happened to have a sailboat with a large mast, hoping that if lightning decided to strike, it would hit his mast.

So, we pull up to the doc and I go for the SUV to get the boat out of the water. I'm like fourth in line and I look over and one of those jet skiers from hell pulled in front of our boat. I could see the wife (I call her the Warden) giving this guy some crap. I could just see it, "When my husband gets here he's going to kick your *ss." So I pull up as he's pulling his jet skis out of the water and he walks up to me in the SUV and he says, "is that your wife?" I said, "Nope, I've never seen that lady in my life." He says, "when I see her husband, I'm going to kick his *ss for the way that she talked to me." I said, "don't go after the husband, you should kick her *ss.

So, I waited until he left the entire dock area until I pulled the SUV up and hooked up the boat. So, she gets in the SUV and we start to pull forward from the docks and she hears this loud screech. She goes, "did you put the engine up?" I said, "yes, do you think I'm stupid?" Never should have said that. So, I opened the door to the SUV and it was screeching from one of the rides at the Mardi Gras.

My dad told me two things that obviously I never listened to. He said, "marry a woman with money and one that is a mute." I did neither.

I mean, what the heck I already get so much sign language from that lady (you know the one finger salute; the old, hey pick the largest finger because that one is yours).

So, who want's to take my wife trolling?

That's my report and I'm sticking to it.

July 4th, 2013 - ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN' NOTHIN'
I will take her trolling....first,... forward pics! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts