Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to Milton today (Friday) . The water was up a couple of feet , but we launched at the Rt. 18 ramp with little trouble . We fished from 8:00 AM till Noon. Trolling the edge of the river channel with fat body plugs and worm harnesses . Caught a non keeper Walleye right away just out of the boat launch bay on the worm harness . We then only had one more hit (missed it) for the next hour. We had some problem with tackle, and I was clearing some line on my reel while floating near the 18 bridge . I had a green fat body lure floating about 6 feet from the boat as I worked on the problem . Something hit the lure and snapped my 8 pound line . I didn't see what it was but it felt pretty hefty for the second I had it on . We didn't have anymore action till we were trolling back to the ramp at noon . Caught a channel cat of about four pounds on a plug . We have not fished Milton very much and are trying to learn a little each trip out there . We have caught a few fish each of the four times we fished the lake .We are old enough to just enjoy being out there ,It is always nice to catch a few . Hope you are all doing well .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes b drake I thought that might have been what it was . I wish I had been in better shape to fight it . Having several yards of loose line laying in the boat isn't a good way to catch a fish .
I got a message from another fellow , I tried to answer , but found I need more posts to be able to PM . Thank you for your message .
My Brother in Law and I are in our 70's ,but are still rookies at fishing this area . As I said we still enjoy just being out there after them . Take care all .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are getting ready to hit Milton again this week . We have been getting a little bit of a late start I think . This trip we hope to be on the water by 6:00 AM . I don't know when they bite best at Milton , I am sure it just depends on all the other factors . We have caught some at all hours , but have not caught very many . We have some new areas to try and hope we can boat a few . We have been trolling with the electric motor at about 1.5 MPH most of the time . We drifted worm harnesses on the flats South of Rt.18 one day ,and caught small Walleyes and a pretty nice Smallmouth . It was fairly windy that day and we were drifting at about 1.7 MPH most of the time in 9 FOW . I think we will try the new area , and troll a little faster . Maybe up around 2.0 MPH . I just plain do not know what will be the best trolling speed . I am sure many factors play into that also . We are always hoping to hit the right combo and having a good day .Everyone take care out there .

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Moral of the story...forget about trolling and drift with 4 green, fat body floating cranks on slack line about 6' from the boat! You'll slay the musky!

Actually, launch out of the Pointview ramp and troll the channel heading south.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Milton this morning ( July 17 ) ,we had a plan when we left home ,but changed them due to the water still being up . We were going to launch at the Rt 18 ramp and fish North . Due to the high water and the fact we had a little trouble at that ramp the last trip out we went down to the Pleasant road ramp .We got to the ramp at 5:00 AM ,and launched when it was just breaking light .The ramp area and bay were covered with a floating mat of scum and floatsum . It was a real mess . We got into clearer water and trolled South along the river channel with worm harnesses and plugs . We were in water from 10 feet to 20 feet . We marked a lot of fish , but got zero hits . There were a lot of carp , so that may be what we marked . We went to near the Carson landing bridge . We turned back North and trolled the river channel edge almost to the Rt 18 bridge, and then trolled East skirting the large shallow flat . We didn't get a single hit . We then trolled to the Rt 18 bridge and fished into the bay to the launch ramp there . We had caught fish there on our last trip , but no hits today. Then we trolled the park area on both sides of the river channel . Next we trolled West across the lake at the Rt 76 bridge ,then back East on the North side of Rt 76 . We then trolled North along the East shore towards the Dam . We got our first hit at about 10:00 AM, and caught our first fish of the day about half way between the bridge and the Dam . It was a 12 " channel cat . We continued North for a ways and then turned and trolled South again in water about 16 foot deep . We saw a fellow land a small Walleye about mid lake . We did not get a bite . We continued back South under the bridges , and back to the mid lake flat South of Rt 18 . We had caught fish there before in about 9 feet of water . We trolled that section and were into the shallower water , about 5 feet and were taking in our line when my Brother in law got a hit . It was an under sized Walleye . We joked it was probably the same one we caught in that area on another trip . To sum it all up we fished for 6 hour in several different depths at various speeds with several different lures and caught our usual two fish . We have a lot to learn .It was warm and glass calm early on, and very hot out there at the end of our day . We hope to follow our original game plan next time out ,and launch at the Rt 18 ramp and fish North earlier in the morning . Good luck to all out there .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.