close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

F-150 question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by buckifan21, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, i have a couple general questions on F-150's that hopefully someone can help me out with. i wasnt sure where to put it so i thought i'd try here.

First off, i found a great deal on a 2002 f-150 with low miles that i was thinkin about getting. it is a great looking and driving truck. it is extended cab but is pretty basic. (no power windows, locks, etc,) For all of you who have f-150's, have you had many problems with them? if so, what type of problems.

second, what type of gas mileage do you get? the guy told me about 14-15 city, and 19-20 highway. is this what you have experienced with the 2002's?

third, it is not 4wd. i have decided that i dont need it for my everyday use and have made it by so far with a little s-10 that doesnt have 4wd... but, i am thinkin that i'd like to take my roomie and his boat out every once in a while. how important is 4wd for launching boats? (he just has a small aluminum johnboat with a 9.9) would i need 4wd for something like that?

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Orrin

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I have a 2002 F-150 that I tow a 20 ft Ranger bassboat with. It has a 5.4 V-8 with 3.55 limited slip axle, 2 wheel drive.This truck has more than enough power . You didn't say what size motor the truck has that you are looking at but the figures you quoted are about what I get. When towing they drop to about 13 m.pg. I have over 53000 trouble free miles so far. You might really want to compare prices of a new over the 2002 as they are giving great rebates and the intrest rate is lower on new vehicles. I looked at a used and bought a new one because there just wasn't that much difference between used and new when you figured that you get a full warrenty with the new. I'll never buy another truck without the limited slip axle, it really helps with traction. If you have any other questions e-mail me. Good luck.

3. I have a 1995 F-150 and I have had no problems with it at all. The engine in my truck is the 302 or a 5.0. When my family goes camping I pull a 16 ft. trailer with no problem but like Orlando said towing anything will drop your gpm down. I have found with my truck and the few odds and ends that I have done to my truck I have been getting around 18 mpg average. I have taken my truck through some pretty tough stuff without four wheel drive. An example is when I was headed out to my grandparents property to hunt. I drove part of the way back up hills and into the woods and I came to a big mudd pitt that is not usually there. Needless to say I made it through the pitt even with the mudd being halfway over my wheels no problem. So I have never had four wheel drive, yes it would be nice to have, but you don't need it. That was just my 2 cents. Phil

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i owned a 99 and 01 f150 extended extended cab both with the 4.6l motors automatic, 2wd, 3.73 ls rear end. they both did the same on gas which was around 15mpg at best and when towing my deep v boat (1200lbs) i would say it got around 12mpg. when towing they seem to have a hard time staying in overdrive if you encounter any hills. last fall at alum i almost lost the truck n trailer at the ramp. it was after they had pulled the lake down and the moss on the ramp was exposed and wet from other boats being launched and taken out. i got the back tires on the wet moss and the front ones wouldnt hold (parking break) the weight without my foot being held on the pedal. i had to sit there until a guy showed up and helped push me up. it was a combo of things, one was the moss on the ramp was slick and the other was the tires were pretty bad. in this situation the limited slip rear end didnt do me any good, only thing woulda helped was 4wd. after sitting at the ramp for about 5 min not being able to get out of the truck i was just about ready to bail out and let it go, luckily someone showed up and was kind enough to help me out. within the last month i got rid of that truck and bought 05 f150 with a 5.4 and 4wd. it has the readout of the mpg your getting and on the highway at 70mph and the air on i was getting 19mpg. i towed my boat to alum yesterday which is only 20 miles and it was getting 15.5mpg and i cant even tell its back there. it really makes a differenc on gas consumption on how you take off from stop signs, if i drop the hammer i can get it down in the single digits. if im being easy on the pedal it stays around 15mpg on my 15 minute drive to work.

only problem i had on the 01 was an o2 sensor went out 2 times but it was covered by the warranty. other then that i didnt have any problems with the 2 that i previously owned.

sowbelly

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

You may not need 4wd, but I do. It's a must where I go in Canada and in WV. You'd better have a nice tow strap where I go if it's not 4wd.

I would say for driving on pavement and pulling boats out on paved ramps a 2wd is sufficient. 4wd is really only needed for special conditions. I don;t usuaully use mine for more than 5-10minutes, but when I do use it....it saves my butt (and my baby - truck).