close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Eyes" are on at Findlay

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by big_mike, May 23, 2008.

1. I have been slaughtering the eyes at Findlay. It has been the best I have ever seen out there. The Cats are on also. Plus a few Crappie here and there.:)

2. You are fishing out of a boat right. How much to take a ride with you. lol

3. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

How are you catching the 'eyes? I'm not close enough to fish Findlay, but I am very interested in getting into some saugeye, and I may be able to apply some of what you are doing at a more local reservoir (Van Wert). Any information will be greatly appreciated. :G

4. I don't know about Mike, but at this time of year, we hammer the eyes at Findlay by trolling single hook weapons with half of a worm, usually gold blades. If you can find the old roadbeds out there and troll back and forth on those, I'll bet you get a fair share of them. Some days while trolling, we'll really key in on good groups of them that are congregated, and anchor and vertical jig for them. Lowlight periods are also good times to troll near the East shoreline from one end to the other. Usually about 50 yards or so out.

5. on behalf of those who have never done well at findlay, thank you for the tip

6. last night was on fire at findlay res. #2 started at 8:45pm and lasted till 10:30pm with the clear sky it was light till almost 10. used .25oz with 3inch swister tail east side near the bigger rocks, walleye - crappie - many, many, many ,wb.. try casting so that the majority of the retreive is near shore, maybe just past the snag zone.

7. sunday night not so hot for me, 3 crappie 4 wb. I saw another catching a wb on nearly every cast. same time and lures.

8. went out sunday night. got there at about 7 fished for a few hours trolling with worm harnesses only got one eye. after dark we drifted near the bank throwing deep diving crankbaits and got a total of three eye six WB and a crappie! pretty good day

9. Were you in the red Lund? I was there with my buddy and his kid from 8:45-10pm. We were left of the stairs on East side maybe 20 yards. We left with 3 white Bass, 3 Crappie, and 3 Walleye. 1/4oz chartruese. I lost another eye at the rocks and missed a few others.

10. I have been catching the eyes by tro,ling near the rocks with a medium diver crankbait. Once I locate them I stay in that area.

11. no we were in a gray V-bottom we stayed mostly near the shore by the boat dock

12. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Thanks, Mike, that's what I was looking for. ;)

13. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

I have a question for those of you that troll the res. I have been amassing a lg number of cranks for erie and Indian Lake, but am fairly new to trolling I assume your trolling fairly close to shore, I was wondering what speed you try and stay at... 2mph?

Redhunter,
    I've got a 14' red starcraft... next week is my last week of school before summer break any time after that give me a holler and we can hook up for a little evening nite trollin' Question do you rig your weapon with half a crawler erie style in the middle so it spins?

PS If you run into nwolford tell him to come over and get that troling moter outa my garage :)

14. As far as speed, yopu are pretty much limited to your boat motors. Some guys are trolling using their gas powered outboards, which I think is a little quick, but they seem to catch them as well. I use an eletric motor, and vary my speeds. When you are that close to shore and the wind is blowing, you have to gun it sometimes to get the boat out from the rocks. You want to use a crankbait that has a large lip that will allow the bait to "bounce" off the rocks.

15. Oh, another thing. I use a small planer board as this seems to get the bait closer to shore without the boat bangin the rocks. When I say close to shore, I am talking maybe the 4 ft range for the bait of coarse, sometimes my planer board will even run into the rocks, that is how close I fish the bank trolling.

16. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

wow, that close... that explains alot I've tried trolling the rocks but I was at least 20' out. I have the larger walleye boards will those work, or do you use the smaller 6" boards?

As for cranks I have mainly hot and tots reef runners and husky jerks and a few others bought some new rapala shad x-rap's

shad x-raps

Not trying to get your exact baits just trying to get in the same neighborhood. :)

Thank-you very much for you time
    --coach

17. LOL. Hey PM me your address and I can come get it tomorrow. If you have any free time we can hit the private pond I have for some crappie. Let me know and I will come and get it.

18. Coach, yes on the crawler. Usually just half. Sometimes, I'll run a 2 hook chartruse harness just to see what they want. And maybe it's a coincidence, but it seems we do catch larger fish on the 2 hooks ones. Another little secret, when we really locate a shool that is stationary, instead of trolling back and forth over them, we'll anchor out with alot of rope till we're over them, and then well just put a split shot just above the spinners on the weapons and vertical jig with them. This catches alot of fish for us. I remember a 3 day period 2 years ago when 6 of us would go out in 2 boats and when we found them, we'd tie the boats off together and vertical jig with the weapons and just kill them, usually limit for all of us in less than 2 hours. Coach, I'm up for some evening trolling. Right now is a great time to be fishing from the East shore with some chartreuse leadheads.