Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going some place beside erie fri am. I have fished alum 6 or so times, but have never fished buckeye. Any ideas or reports. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
To me depends what kind of trolling you want to do. If you want cranks in 4 to 7 feet of water then buckeye is your spot. Banging bottom in rocky transitions. If you like open water pushing 10-20 foot of water I would go alum. Buckets has given up a mix of sizes but has given some good size ones. Alum is full of borderline keeper fish. Just under and just over with the bigger ones pushing 20. So buckeye better chance of fish Ohio, shallow trolling. Alum better chance of numbers working deep points and humps.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
That sounds about right slippy but there Has to be some hawgs in alum as well don't you think? Certainly haven't heard or seen much but man it seems there should be some bigger fish in there.

Also if you are going to troll alum, be ready to deal with a Muskie. Have heavy duty wire cutters in case you just want to cut the hook and let it go. Bring a big net. Make sure you are ready and know how to deal with a Muskie if you catch one! Good luck and let us know how you do!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was at Buckeye on Monday from 6:30 to about 1:30 Got 1 15",1 17",3 18's and 1 20 incher. Lost 3 more and about 10 dink eyes, 1 huge Gill and a white bass. All caught in 4&1/2 to 5 ft. of water. Be there at the right time and place and it can be real good.

Snuff

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I know there are big fish in alum. They just seem to operate on a different wavelength the last few years. For me they have come few and far between. A 21 is the biggest I have gotten there this fishing license season. A buddy has pulled a few 24-25" but buckeye has given them up a little easier, however like snuff said it is really a right place right time. Maybe early in the morning maybe in the heat of the day, just whenever they decide I guess.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never being to buckeye is there a certain ramp I should use, and what part of the lake should I target east, west, middle. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you have a larger boat north shore is by far the nicest ramp,easiest to get to, but also the busiest. Liebs is good. And Fairfield is small but good. Really there is good fishing on all ends of the lake. Around islands around rock piles. The marsh is the deepest water in the lake and is a no wake zone. There are plenty of good areas around that whole no wake zone if you wanted to simplify the trip. But every end of that lake has its own population of saugeye, and getting them in the heat of summer can be tricky. You can go out one day and feel like you are king of the lake just to turn around the next day and realize the opposite. If you find a pocket of a few beat it up in every direction. For me it has been small groupings in an area instead of big schools

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have caught them in Alum with a yozuri deep runner in 20ft of water let out just enough line for the lure to bump bottom once in a while around mid lake from south side of Cheshire rd headed south after I find the right amount of line for that lure and the depth I take a magic marker and mark 4ft of the line at the rod....a line counter reel would work well too, but to cheap to buy one :D for the few times I might use it(spinning for me anyway)....this is the way my Dad did it, so this is the way I do it now

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good info. Did not make it down yesterday, but plan to in the near future. I will be sure to post the results, again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If u are going to go to buckeye, send me a pm a day or 2 before and I will give u as much as I can.
Snuff

If u are going to buckeye, send me a pm a day or 2 in advance and I will give u as much info s I can. Type of baits and locations etc. Hate to see someone go a long way to fish without giving them as much chance as possible.
Snuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts