Ohio Game Fishing banner
741 - 756 of 756 Posts

· Registered
1,350 Posts
Learned a ton from this thread over years, so thanks.
Question: When casting and drifting worm harnesses I have made , I been having a number of issues with the harnesses getting tangled (I think on cast.) any tips on avoiding this?
My home made rigs consist of either egg sinkers, or sometimes inline trolling sinkers, generally 3/4 to 1 oz. and about 16-19 inches of either fluorocarbon or mono line with one colorado blade, 3-5 small beads, and either two hooks, or one slow death hook. My mainline is typically 15lb power pro braid.
When the harness's dont get tangled they are generally walleye catching machines , and I never have breakoffs.

· 1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,218 Posts
Here is my casting rig.
20# fireline braid to leader.
leader tied with Albright knot 6-10 feet of 20# fluorocarbon to swivel tied with improved clinch knot.
24" harness tied on 15# fluorocarbon.

When you cast, just before landing, turn over your bail or stop the line from leaving your reel. This sets the rig out with worm and beads at end to prevent the tangles. Fluorocarbon or mono leaders also help to minimize tangles or get them out faster when they happen.

Rickerd

· Registered
894 Posts
I also tie my own trolling and casting harnesses.I use seaguar 20# flourocarbon to tie up those rigs.Think the flourocarbon has an advantage over mono by being stiffer and less likely to tangle.Like Richard says,try and stop the line as rig is entering water by using your finger to stop the line,then I immediately close the bail and pull line taunt.I actually slowly reel line taunt as rig is falling through the water column.This prevents tangles and I can sometimes actually feel a fish hit as it's dropping.Now, everybody will get tangles casting this rig.But you can minimize then by following these tips. I think the majority of tangles happen as rig is sinking down, and keeping line taunt decreases the line twisting.
Another thing I also do to help prevent tangles,is I tie the loop with bead in it just big enough for an egg sinker to fit.I think a larger than necessary loop can create slack and more tangles.But my dad used to argue with me on the taunt line theory I followed.I just smiled on bow of boat when he would curse about another tangled line coming in.

· Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
Thanks gang for the recent posts ! Been busy with Eye-Keeper Charter boat ! Been.fishing everyday since May !
Fishing has been great ! Still have some dates left in the coming months ! Check out website eyekeepercharters.com
I also have some casting harnesses for sale ! O

Attachments

3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 · (Edited)
Capt Mike aka "WOJO"
I apologize for not posting on the drift and cast thread ! Between being really busy last season plus going thru radiation treatments for prostrate cancer I just totally forgot about things here on OGF .
Well been busy in the off season making more drift and cast harnesses . I think I have tied over 500 since mid November . I do have them for sale and they are also at Bays Edge Bait and tackle shop .
Can't wait
For the season to begin . 2023 should be one of the best years yet ! There will.be plenty of fish well over 26"+ And on the other hand lots and lots of small fish under 17" .
Eye-Keeper Charter is now in our 16 year . The website is below along with some pics of my harnesses.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to post here . I promise to check here more often
Capt Mike
eyekeepercharters.com

3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
Mike- did you look in to HIFU for your prostate cancer? I had mine done in sept. Its an ablation using ultrasound. Not invasive at all. No real side effects. Psa went from 18.7 to 1.86. I had it done at U of Toledo
No I did not . Because of my other medical issues they felt radiation was the best option for me . 3 months post my PSA is at 1.7 it was 8.4 . I had a heart transplant almost 25 years ago so a lot of things where considered before biopsy and for treatment of the cancer . I have another PSA soon hopefully it keeps going down ?

741 - 756 of 756 Posts