Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 756 Posts

· Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here goes! I have had this in my head for some time now but just didn’t know how I was going to put it all together? Well here goes –

During the past few seasons I have gotten a lot of comments & even complaints on my opinions on why I do not troll for Lake Erie Walleyes? Believe me if trolling is your thing fine! But for someone who has been casting for walleyes for over 40 years it’s the only thing I know. Just never felt the need to start trolling for walleyes. Where there days when fishing was tough? Sure But I also remember days when almost every cast got a fish. And this still happens now at times.

But there are plenty of Charters and recreational fisherman out on Erie who still prefer to cast and drift. I have made numerous posts on good days on Erie on this site only to have someone ask me what my program was? What depth where my lures what my speed was? And so on!
I know not all are regulars on this site but if they read anything that I posted they would know that I am a drift and cast Charter service only.

I had asked a mod a while back if I could have a drift and cast only thread and was told no! I understand that and have no problems with it. What my plans are to do in this thread is to help out all of those drift and casters on this site who need help to improve their skills to catch more fish.

Of course the best way would be to Book a trip with me or another Drift and cast service but with out doing that I will try to answer some of your questions here in this thread!

Some of the possible topics could be ---

Locations and movement of walleyes.
Lures and presentations to catch fish. How to cast on a boat.
Bottom Bouncers
Learning how to read your fish finders and Gps.
What type of rods & reels and fishing line to use?
Types of lures.
How to make casting and drifting harnesses.

I will leave it up to the readers of this thread to ask away?

Attachments

· Banned
16,924 Posts
Thanks! And first question....Let's talk rods. I'll assume spinning although I can handle a baitcaster - What length, action etc.

3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Spinning works best But I do have a few bait casters on board. I like 6' and under meduim action rods ! I used to be a St croix guy but they only make longer rods now ! So now I use a Fenwick 5'9" Now ! But mostly all the rods on my boat are 6' and under.

3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i prefer casting any day any time especially if your on top of them. wish the schools were that thick in the central basin.
Yea CB can be tough ? The other thing out west is the Reefs and Rocks ! Fish can be had there almost all the time If you want to take the time to fish them ! I've fished them and have worked with others where you only Catch the fish in a small zone. But Limits can be had doing this !

One other thing to remember is YES schools are smaller and some times it is better to make shorter drifts over those smaller schools. Problem can be is once others see ya do that It will be over and you know why ? Company Not good !

3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This year I plan on doing a lot more casting and have purchased some new spinning rods. I was thinking about running braid on the casting rods and keeping mono on my bouncer rods. What’s your thoughts?
Yep that works ! But I have switch all to Braid ! I just feel It is soooo Much better than Mono ! The extra Cost is okay ! Check Ebay I have found 1500 yd spools of Braid for less than $ 80 shipped to me !! Great Deal !!

5,968 Posts
Well spent many a day casting way back when. Always laughed at the t rollers. But back then I fished the western basin only and mostly private charters. I really enjoyed it better. But times have changed and like I always said about fishing is you have to change to match what the fish want. These days i fish mostly Eastern basin with mine or my friends boats. Most walleye come from deep water. The spinners and harnesses along with dipsy's and divers. Down riggers and planer boards seem to be the ticket.
I do miss the casting in shallow water and if I fished the western you could bet id try that first.

· Banned
16,924 Posts
How about baits - We used to use Erie Dearies, Gold and Silver Nuggets, Tom's and a couple others that slip my mind. What's the current lures to use and do you stil luse the old standby's?

3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay Calm Flat Days First -- Actual had one of those last Late june or early July ? Fishing was on fire where we where across the Boarder for over a week! The best of the season. Guys where leaving the dock at 5:30 and starting to go home before 9:00 am. And the ride to where we where was almost 1 hour. I had a group of 6 first day and we had the boat limit of 42 by 11:30 or so . The second day It was DEAD flat calm they where all worried thinking the wouldnt catch them. But the way the fish where biting we did. Took a little longer, But we did get them by 1:30or so. Thing was you had to get harness to the bottom and keep them moving. Turning the Crank on the reels. Not fast but just steady. I had plot/drigt lines that looked like circles. Too many guys think drifting means just casting out and leating the wind move the lures ? Not true more times or not the fish will come or hit on a steading reeling. You may have to stop and drop back to catch them if you feel the bite though.

Lures --Yes the weight fowards still do produce I have a Huge box and still buy them when I see some I like. They work great in the rocks. Count down touch the rocks and bring them back ether bouncing across rocks or some times just turning crank nice and slow to keep it moving.

As for the most used lure Now it has to be the Harness/weapon/mayfly rig/xxx/xxx ! Well you get the point there are plenty of names for them. Plus there are one hook and then two hook !

I'll spend some time and put some pics out and my stlyes and uses for each of them soon. If I forget someone please remind me.

Thanks Guys Keep ????? coming ! Great first day so far !!!!

3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what size blades do you throw? deep cup? any color in particular? when i cast its usually a gold blade with 3/4oz weight forward. I've got all kinds of questions lol.
Have just about everything DJ size 2 to 6-- Deep cup-- hammered all kinds of colors and Willow blades plus Who knows what else ???

You and I need to spend some time on the water Captain !

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Do you use plastics/RR and or suspending baits/rogues what type of technics do you use to get them down in the strike zone? If you do use them is there a time of year you prefer them over harnesses an weight forwards? Also do you night fish an cast I always wondered about trying that late in the fall around Starve Island.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
I like to catch eyes on light tackle also but I would
like to know what are some of the tricks you use
on calm flat days when a drift is pretty much non-existant.
Don't forget the jigs, they will also work in deep water. Had a couple aboard from Minnesota that jigged primarily. We were on a good school of big fish in 42fow off Lorain. They put on a jigging clinic using simple 3/4oz, chartruese jig heads tipped with 1/2 a worm. Most were struggling that day as the lake was flat and the fish were hugging 2-3' off bottom. I zoomed the fishfinder in close so they could see their jig and keep it just above the fish. Big smiles, Big fish, Heavy cooler.....Jiggin' in July.

· Registered
4,067 Posts
Heart,
The only time I jig is in April, I know but at least I do it!! It is fun and I enjoy it. Seems you either have the touch or you don't. For those who don't could you give some pointers for jigging the reefs in the spring. Whats your best techiniques to get fish in the boat??? I know some guys like up wind, some like down wind casts. I find I get most my fish on the drop down casting into the wind. However several I have fished with can never seem to get the spring jig bite touch.

1 - 20 of 756 Posts