External Harddrive

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by seethe303, May 20, 2008.

1. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

So I am wanting to buy or build an external harddrive.

Any opinions on buy vs. build?

As far as brands if I was going to buy one, I was leaning towards Western Digital or Seagate. It seems like all of the harddrive reviews on newegg.com have at least a few people saying the drive is awful and died within months, or just after the warranty period.

A lot of people online suggest buying an external enclosure and an internal harddrive. I am confident I could figure this out. I am curious though, many people suggesting that say that you don't need a power source if you go this way, how does this work?

thanks y'all!

2. marsh

marsh atwood amateur

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sata-HDD-USB-Docking-Station/dp/B0012Z3MKW/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8199056-6208605?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211412728&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Thermaltake Sata HDD USB Docking Station: Electronics[/ame]

Check these out, we just got them in at work. They will accept any sata drive and are completely hot swappable. Basically one enclosure/dock and as many drives as you want.

3. Try to avoid buying Western Digital as They have many problems. Also No body I have ever talked to was able to build a working external HDD

4. I have a western digital internal never had any problems but when i buy my external im getting a seagate my cousin has one he likes it alot. i buy all my stuff on newegg.com. Jusy rebuilt computer in july 07 everything came from newegg amd havent had any problems so far.