Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the most awesome experience yesterday! My dad and I were out pruning the trees our deer stands will be in this year. Anyway I was about 12 feet up in this tree clearing vines when my dad says hey look. It was a flock of about 13 hen turkeys. They were feeding their way across the field towards us. So I just snugged up against the tree hanging 12 feet in the air. My dad got back in the truck and sat still. those turkeys walked right past us, less than 15 yards from us they worked their way over to the feeder which is only 20 yards from where we were. They ate some corn and soy beans then headed towards my house and garden before turning back towards the field and woods on the other side. Once they were gone I went back to pruning dead limbs and vines from the tree I was in. I turned to ask my dad for something when I caught movement at the other end of the field from where we seen the Hens come out. It was 7 Tom turkey's they come right down the tree line right past us to the feeder then back out towards where they come from. As they were heading away from us I heard movement down below me in the woods. I turned and started looking in the direction of the noise trying to figure out if it was squirrels rustling around up in a tree. after a few minutes I finally caught movement on the ground it was a small buck rubbing his antlers on larger sapling
he lifted his head and I could see the last bits of velvet draped around the base of his antlers. After a few minutes he headed up the hill away from us. I just sat there with this gigantic smile on my face for like ten minutes then we finished and went for lunch. Everyone of those turkey's were in bow range, two of those toms were huge with beards that were damn close to dragging the ground. the other 5 were nice but looked like jakes very short beards and not that big. The buck is one of 5 different bucks I have pictures of, he's a perfect 8 point but he's definitely a young deer he will certainly be a shooter in a year or two!

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
The experience, that's what it is all about. Just think, some poor soul has to sit down and watch the discovery channel, or national geographic to experience what you and your Dad shared together. Gotta love it!:D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right on there Toxic, I only wish my daughter or son would have been back there with us to see them that close. But they were in school :( The kids get to see the deer and turkeys all the time but never up close like we did yesterday. I have been hunting for 23 years and I swear encounters like yesterdays still get my heart beating like I was 12 years old all over again:good: The day I don't get that rush of adrenalin will be the last day I hunt or fish. But I don't look for that to happen anytime soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts