close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Excellent PR

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarbyMan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

A local (Cols) numbskull has done an excellent job with hunting PR. Fearing that fido was attacking, or perhaps that little dog was posing as a massive buck, mr. genius plugs it with a broadhead.

Now, I wear glasses to read, and I am by no means an expert biologists, but I can tell the difference between Fido and Mr. Deer, especially at bowhunting range! I hate to think that Mr. Genius was purposely aiming at this dog.

I hate seeing this crap on the news, gives the nay sayers plenty of ammo. At least Mr. Genius could fess up and help pay for the dogs vet bill. So thanks Mr. Genius you have done an excellent job promoting our sport.

2. Maybe it was a Great Dane that ran away from home after someone put those Christmas reindeer antlers on his head???? :p

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'd like to hear the rest of the story.

Was the dog in fact ready to attack him?
    Was the dog wild on his own propoerty, running deer?
    etc.....

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

The dogs MIGHT have weighed 15 lbs. according to the local news.
    Not even as big as a beagle. I seriously dought it was attacking anyone. This was a small dog that was out in the woods. It's a shame there are people allowed to own a wepon ( bow included ) that are that stupid. There was another one shot with an arrow today. I hope they catch this idiot soon.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Wow. What a shame. Being in the SW part of the state, I haven't heard of this yet. Let's all hope they find who did this and throw the book at them.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

probably some jackazz who cant kill a deer legally, gets bored and does this crap....too bad common sense is not a requirement to buy a bow or license:confused:

7. Just a question, not to be meant to justify anyone or anything but was this on public or private property and why was the dog running loose in the woods. I have had property owners ask me to shoot any dogs running deer I see. I have never done it but have seen way to many dogs left to run loose on others property.

It is aweful what happened and if a guy just shot a dog for kicks he should be lucky enough to get that done to him.

Does anyone have a link to a news story I cannot seem to google one up.

8. Shooting any animal just for kicks seems a bit dumb...

I know people who have had their dogs shot by people hunting in nearby woods....the dogs were in their kennel...it was a man and his son :confused: :mad: :confused:

9. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Was the dog on a leash?

10. May not be the same story, but I did one Tuesday fro WKYC where someone, hunting property without permission, shot a dog with an arrow. It6 took place in Osnaburg Twp East of Canton.

Woman was walking her dogs on her 41 acres, one dog ran up over a hill and disappeared. She found it later, dead. Sheriff's deputies and Div. of Wildlife officers said it was a broadhead that did the damage. Dog was a 7 month old Austrailian Sheepdog.

Still looking for the shooter.

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Thanks Carl - Maybe now all the negative post will stop. It's a shame you can't even let your dogs run on their own land. Then people wonder why it's so dam hard to find property owners that let you hunt on their land? Not to me it isn't. I'm glad I have a private place to hunt on.

12. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

The story I was refering to is here in Columbus. Someone found a yellow lab with an arrow shot through it. The dog was alive, and survived the surgery to remove to the arrow. Its owner can't be found????????
    Makes ya wonder.

I just hate this bad PR for hunters. We get enough from Disney movies, and some media oulets, we shouldn't be doing it to ourselves.

13. I was just going to say the same thing Carl - about that story, until I read further down. Seems this is private land and this lady NEVER lets hunters on her property - "for this vey reason" I believe is her exact quote.

It's a real shame there's knuckleheads out there that would do something like this. Gives the rest of us honest hunters a bad name.

My bet would be some punk kid out fooling around - or she did something to them and really ticked them off.......and the retaliated in the worst way. Whatever the reason - that is totally uncalled for.

14. When we talked with both her and her husband, they did say they didn't let strangers hunt on their land. They do let their neighbors hunt there, as long as they tell them when they'll be out. They(the authorities too) checked with the neighbors and none of them hunted the day the dog was killed.

They have had problems in the past with trespassers though, and that's why they won't allow folks they don't "know" to hunt there. Her husband is a hunter, BTW.

15. Of course. I always keep my dogs on a leash while we hunt. That way I have the fun of running through the multiflora rose with them. I sure hope this leash post was in jest.

As for running deer, I have had a beagle take off after a deer, but there was no hope she would catch one.