close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EWWW!..ITCH!....Scratch!..etc.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Oh my gosh.. The absolute worst thing just happened to me.. Well, okay, maybe not the worst, but pretty darn close! (itch, itch...) :-o
    Ok, here's what just happened.... (itch, twitch, scratch... ).....
    You see, last night we just brought in everything that was on our boat to get get washed, organized, etc. (itch.. )
    As many of you know, Rob and I (and our dogs of course) spend many nights out on the boat. So, we keep some extra clothing and a couple of sleeping bags on the boat in a big bag. (eww...itch....) :-o
    So, I took this big bag that I had the sleeping bags in, unzipped it, turned it upside down and began shaking this bag to get the sleeping bags out. (itch..)
    I was using my king sized bed as a "table" to sort through all of the clothing and bedding that was on the boat. (itch, scratch.... ewwww)
    Well, as I was shaking this bag violently to get these sleeping bags out (that were really squeezed in there tight), something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye that was crawling on the floor. It was a carpenter ant. Ok.. ick.. dont like the idea of ants being in my bedroom, but with one swift step, I put my uneasiness to rest... Ahhh....
    So, I continue to shake this bag... finally, one of the sleeping bags manages to break free and falls onto my bed. Hmmm....What was that? Another thing caught my eye, only this time it was on my bed. OH MY.. ! Another carpenter ant.. only this time ON MY BED! YIKES! OK.. my head starts itching... I go to get a paper towel to smoosh this thing.. and, well, here is where it gets hard to keep typing... (itch, scratch, itch.. :-O)
    Oh my... I couldnt believe what I am seeing.. It seems that a family of carpenter ants decided to make themselves a nice cozy home inside of my sleeping bags while they were (stowaways) on my boat! Mommy's, Daddy's, Teenagers, and yes even the Unborn! (larva) The whole shebang.. right here.. now (itch) are scurrying across my king sized comforter in total mass confusion. (itch, scratch,)
    Meanwhile, my dogs sat there looking at me like I was crazy as they saw me move like they never have! Where were my cats when I needed them? lol
    Oh my gosh.. eww.... on the bed, on my arms, my legs, my shoes, the chest at the foot of the bed, under the chest, on the railings of the bed, the floor.. and just a few minutes ago I saw one in the master bathroom on the mirror!!!!! Now I feel like they are crawling all over me!!!! EWWWW... I am so Itchy and grossed out... I need to shower, wash my bedding (in boiling water :D ), call the exterminator, call the carpet cleaner.. heck.. I should just move out! (itch, scratch...:-o
    Lord.. I think I may need some help to get past this one! :C .. I think I'm traumatized. lol (itch, scratch, squirm)

Reely Freeked Out.....
    Marcia

P.S.
    Anyone have an extra room to rent? :D

2. Ants can certainly be a pain in the rear and we have had many bouts with them over the years at our old farm house. However, they were never carpenter ants. I hope for your sake that they are not either. You certainly don't want them to find a home in your home.:(

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

It would be a good idea to either hire an exterminator or go to your local hardware and get a spray to treat the perimeter of your home.
    Carpenter Ants can be worse than Termites!

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Carpenter ants eat the mold left by water damage. In the wild they keep the trees clean of the mold. The reason they appear to do damage to a home, is they are eating the rotton, moldy wood. Wood that is already damaged. That's why they are usually found in the soffits and gutterboards, under porches, etc. You will see hollowed out trees full of them, they are not attacking healthy trees. They are eating the rotton wood.
    [​IMG]

5. Reel Lady

Mr. Fish Ohio....
    LOL...Nope.. Didnt help one bit thank you very much! I think I will send you my Therapy Bill for subjecting me to that little film of yours! (itch, scratch)...

6. If you have any of the specimens still around you may want to stick them in a jar and take them somewhere and verify what kind they are. As Lewis said they are something that you don't want any part of around the house.

7. Hey I dont mean to laugh at your problem but I just could'nt help it. You sound exactly like my wife when she sees a bug in the house, and if its a spider she is out the door in a flash!
    Hope you get them taken care of before they make a new home.

8. Reel Lady

Would a head from this one, a leg from that one, and a thorax from another be okay for a speciman? lol... I went a little crazy on them if ya know what I mean :eek:

9. I can only imagine! I can just see your arm and legs going crazy and little pieces of ants flying all over the place, if someone only had a video camera.:D

10. My guess is that most experts would prefer a specimen in one piece.:p

11. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

12. Reel Lady

[​IMG]
    Well, here are some of the pieces parts :eek:
    Man, I think I'm going to nickname these things "Terminator Ants" They are darn near impossible to kill. And even when you think they are long gone, the somehow manage to ressurect themselves from the dead. Creepy... Very Creepy...
    Anyone have a good therapist? lol

13. Marcia,
    I Can Picture That! My Step Daughter, Goes Absolutely Nuts About The Smallest Spider, She Can Find Those Little Orange Ones! But Big Carpenter Ants! Well It Seems To Me That By The Looks Of That Photo, They Met With The Wrong Person!!! What Did You Do? The Irish Jig!!! Lol. Marcia You Just Made My Day! Thanks.
    Tom

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Another thing: Carpenter ants will come back & get their dead. For instance if you kill a couple & leave them in the floor, wait a while more will come (if they are around) & take back the dead. Does anyone know why this is?

15. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

ants ,smants. not near as bad as fleas. or try the black flies out on lake erie.flea TALK make me itccccch. the biting flies make me SWEAR,loudly

16. Very good tip there Marcia send Rob to the store!!!
    Also a good excuse to go get a nice room somewhere for the night ;)
    call it a mini vacation and lesson learned on where to shake out the bags :D

17. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Oh boy. I bet some old members remember my post from years ago! Mr.Feesh is correct on the eatin' mold. Look around your landscaping and start with the mulch beds and rocks. If you see the white eggs and ants- Start dumping Borax!!!! If you have an access panel to your shower get a flashlite and start looking for nests. I know, everybody saz' no bugs in my house. Us too! Darn things were there! :mad: Kitchen area too. Anywhere there is water there is moisture-mold. And carpenter ants! Borax them! The darn things were dropping out of a tree that overhung the house and found their way in! Every once and a while you see one cruisin' the kitchen counter top. Ahhhh!!! Red saz' " I hate the crunch sound when ya' stomp them"! LOL Borax!!!!!!!!!!!!! They hate it!!!!! Darn things look cute in the cartoons! :p BORAX!!!!! :mad: Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  18. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

ow!smack,ow!smack,ow! ow! ow! smack,smack,smack,ow! smack.
    i'd be willing to bet that you created a new dance somewhere along the way! :D
    hey marcia!,what's that on your back???????

19. Reel Lady

Lucky for me... I've been having Orkin treat this house from the time that the foundation was complete. I've also already got those ant traps under my bed. Rob put them there :D
    P.S...
    Just wondering... Do these things bite???? :confused: :eek: