close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Evinrude needs a doctor!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Tommybouy, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I Almost made a new reef in Hoover today...in the shape of my 10hp evinrude.... Its not run well once this season and has limited me to only 5 trips, all of which had issues. :mad:

Now its a cylinder....While the engine is runing I unplug the top s-plug and it keeps runing. unplug the bottom s-plug while the top plug is in and she shuts down. My personal mechanic (Dad) is going to check it out.

Im probably in the market for an 8 or 9.9 H.P. send someone my way if you know someone. No later than a mid 90's. $$$ Trying to keep my Hoover boat inexpensive and the Erie boat in mind....

Thanks in advance!

2. Have you checked to see if you are getting any spark in the #1 cylinder? If you are not getting a good spark at #1 swap the positions of the two coils and see if your no spark condition travels to the # 2 cylinder. If that is the case then your #1 coil is bad and needs to be replaced. A coil probably costs around $40.00.

If you are getting a strong spark at both cylinders, pull the plugs and do a compression test on both cylinders. The readings should be within 10% of each other. If #1 is more than 10% lower than #2 you have problems. If #1 reads 0 compression you have big problems.

3. Thank you for the suggestions! Please read below.

I did test the spark plugs...I have spark. I alternated plugs to test both of them. Also, the engine does start with either plug #1 or #2 with only one of those plugs in use.

I removed the flywheel. I cleaned the flywheel and points. One of the points was at 25 thousandths so I reset it to 20 so that both points were at 20. Also, I checked each spark plug wire with a smaller spark plug to test spark. each wire lit the small plug like a xmas tree. However the larger plugs barely sparked. Then I bought new plugs and had the same result, little spark. I reassembled the flywheel after cleaning/resetting everything, installed new plugs and I can still only get one cylinder to run correctly. I beieve your first recommendation will resolve the problem. Im hoping taht since the spark is low on the correct plugs that replacement of the coils will restore the spark and that the 2nd cylinder will have enough spark to fire...

Since each cylinder started the engine on its own without the other cylinder connected, Im optimistic that replacing the coils will have me fishing again.

Questions:
    Do you agree with my repair assumption?
    Do I need to buy both coils since one cylinder is ok?
    Should I buy new condensors while I have the flywheel removed?
    What is the ballpark cost of condensors?
    Where do I go to get coils and condesors for a 1969 10HP Evinrude SportTwin as quickly as possible?

Thanks in advance for the help!

4. Now that I think I know what you think you have I'll try again. I can't find any reference to a 10 hp Evinrude built in 1969. The only thing I can find is actually a 9.5 horse. Whatever the hp is if the motor was indeed built in 1969 it has a magneto flywheel ignition. The coils are under the flywheel and cannot be easily swapped when troubleshooting ignition problems. That eliminates one of the diagnostic steps that I had suggested earlier. Also, when troubleshooting problems, perform ONE test at a time. It's the only way to narrow down your problem.

Start over again by removing both spark plugs and do a compression test. If your compression is bad (off by more than 10% between cylinders) there is no point in throwing electrical parts at the motor because they won't fix anything and they are not returnable.

If the compression checks out OK put your spark plugs back in and THEN check each cylinder for spark. Use a spark tester between the plug and the plug wire or hold the plug wire (with the boot pulled back) 1/4" from the end of the spark plug. Ideally you can use two spark testers and run the motor. Compare the sparks between the two cylinders to see if one cylinder is not firing. I'm assuming #1 is the culprit. If you do the test in the dark you can also look for any arcing in the plug wires.

If you find one cylinder with a weaker spark or no spark at all pull your flywheel off again. Check the magnets, coils, points, and wiring for any obvious burned areas. If the bad spark is limited to one cylinder you can isolate the problem to the ignition system for that cylinder. If one side is bad I'd change both just to eliminate problems later on.

The breaker points should be replaced every 100 hours or even once a year. You can get 2 sets of points and 2 condensers for $25 - $30 online. Individual condensers are about $3 but they rarely go bad. I'm guessing on the coils but I'd say they are between $25 and $40 each. Mastertech Marine sells a tune up kit for $169 that includes 2 coils, 2 sets of points, 2 condensers, spark plugs and wires, a carb kit, head gasket, thermostat, and an impeller. They also give troubleshooting tips, sell other parts, and sell service manuals. They have an illustrated description on how to tune up the older Johnnyrudes. They are at: http://www.maxrules.com/

5. Hi Ken G!

Im using your advice. My dad is taking my motor to his buddies tool shop to run a compression test. Your suggestion to confirm the compression is ok prior to spending money on parts that will not benefit if the compression is bad is great advice!

Im hoping that the compression is ok. Im assuming if the compression is poor than the repair will cost more than the motor is worth. However, should the compression be ok your suggestion to purchase the kit for $169 appears to be a no-brainer if 2 coils will cost $80 anyway. Not to mention all those important parts are new and that $169 is good for another 100 hours as you suggested!

You have been very helpful to me and I appreciate your taking the time and interest to help! Ill post the results of the compression test tomorrow evening!

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

He's a Merc guy.

UFM82

:D :D

7. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The cylinders were within 3lbs of each other! I think Im going to order the kit for $169 and see if that takes care of it. Hopefully it wont take to long to receive the kit. Fish are biting! :B

9. That kit seemed pretty reasonable to me. If you are going to the trouble to tear it apart and only fix 1/2 of the ignition system on a 36 year old motor you might have to do it again in a couple of months when the other side pukes out. Also, it's probably a good idea to do both sides just so everything is equal.

You will have a few extra parts from the kit. Since your compression is OK I wouldn't fool with changing the head gasket. If the electrical repairs get everything running I wouldn't touch the carburetor either. Changing the thermostat and impeller depends on when they were replaced last.

Good Luck.

While you have your credit card out, spend another $30 and order a manual. I use the Seloc manuals and they are pretty helpful.

And Craig, I do have one non-running Johnson laying under my two extra Merc's in the garage. Mice chewed up the wiring before I got it but it should run with a new power pack and coils. I haven't done anything to it because I don't really need it for anything. I will probably paint it Phantom black when I fix it though, it will run better that way. :)

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Ken is right on here- I hope you get the outboard running right. There's nothing quite as satisfying as getting your own stuff running right by yourself. But, it has been my experience that when it comes to manuals, I prefer the Clymer's over the Seloc. I think the Clymer's has more specific details than the Selocs do. In fact, I had originally purchased a Seloc book for my '93 Merc and the engine wasn't even listed in the book! LOL So, I got rid of that and bought a Clymer's. Much better.

You can't buy an outboard for $169.00 so that is worth the repair. Let us know how it turns out.

UFM82

11. Gentlemen,

Thank you for your assistance. Im hoping that I can receive the kit and be fishing again soon! $169 looks a lot better than $2k for that 4 stroke.. The idea all along has been to keep the Hoover rig as inexpensive as possible and save the bigger$$ for the Erie boat next spring. $169 keeps me in the sweet spot!

Ill let you know immediately after its runing! Thanks again!

12. Hey guys,

real quick...I ordered my kit about 1.5 days ago. I received an order number. I was told to reference my order number anytime I had a question and to use the link they provided for contacting them...

I sent an email referencing my order number asking for a delivery timeframe one day ago and i havnt hear from the site. I called my credit card company today before lunch and the sale hadnt posted yet.?.

The website did say he is off the last week of July. However I received order confirmation despite his vacation. E commerce sites can fulfill orders while owners are on vacation. Do you think I have a reason to be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

13. The website says that orders will be filled without delay while the shop is closed. Did you pay extra for Next Day Air? If not, even if they got your order, immediately filled it, and ran it out to an awaiting UPS truck it will still take 2,3, or even 4 days to get from Florida to Wherever, Ohio. With the weekend I wouldn't be concerned until the middle of next week.