close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Evinrude help please!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by SeA nYmPhO, May 23, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have a 94 Evinrude 15hp and i'm starting to have troubles with it. When I troll for a while it will bog down and stall. Have also had other instances where i'd be going full throttle and it would bog down. I have added c-foam plenty of times. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if its the carbs or what? Also thought it could be gas can or lines? Any help is much appreciated

2. common problem could be the squeeze bulb

3. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

I was thinking the bulb also, or even the vent on the tank closed causing gas not to get to the motor.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

both of those are good ,also an air leak anywhere in the line will do it too.

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

A primer bulb pumps fuel up to the carb so the engine can start. After that it does NOTHING. How can a primer bulb make an engine stall? Please explain.

In fact, if fuel tanks were placed above the engine, primer bulbs would be non-existent.

UFM82

6. A primer bulb can fail in at least 2 ways and cause a fuel flow problem.
    1. the check valves inside the bulb can stick or go bad and restrict fuel flow
    2. the bulb could develop a small leak that will suck air instead of fuel

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

The primer bulb gets a lot of blame but is not the issue very often. If a fuel line has a hole and "sucks air", it's going to leak when there is no suction when the engine isn't running. If a bulb is going to suck air, it's going to leak as well. That's an easy problem to find.
    The check valve in a primer bulb prevents flow back from the engine to the tank, assuming the tank is lower than the engine. Even if the valve sticks in whatever position, it won't restrict flow. I've been boating for more than 30 years and repairing boats as a hobby for 25 and have NEVER replaced a bulb for anything other than an obvious leak. I read threads on here constantly about primer bulbs that "won't stay hard" or other issues and shake my head.

UFM82