Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Evinrude announcing it will be out of the outboard business, would anyone be hesitant to purchase a boat with an e tec. I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not at all, parts will be available for a long time. They are honoring the warranty. Aftermarket parts work too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Tough call if it was me. Just depends on your comfort level, lots of guys have them and like them. I'd look to make sure the warranty transfers to new owner as they are still covering their factory and extended plans but not sure if there is a stipulation for original owner or must be transferred to a new owner.
I think it just depends on your current situation of what you are wanting most. I've went from a newer 4 stroke on a bass boat to an old 2 stroke on a deep V. My next boat I will only go newer 4 stroke but if my current boat would have had an etec on it I would have still bought it, as it was more important to get into the hull I wanted at the time than was worried about what was hanging on the back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Never for me. But, I typically keep my equipment for as long as possible. I buy quality stuff and keep up with all maintenance. When I sell something it is usually ready to be retired. For those who only plan to keep it a short time, I’m confident things will be fine. but long term things are not as rosy. At some point, parts will not be available and warranties will be expired. That’s when the prices will drop through the floor…although they somewhat dropped already.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I'd make sure you have a good and reliable boat dealer that will be able to take care of service in the future.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
If you want it I would negotiate a deal that was equal to buying the boat without a motor. Surely a seller with half a functioning brain would understand the dilemma with selling a boat with a motor on it that the company is no longer in business.

Theirs going to be alot of shops that will no longer work on them and the ones that will work on them are going to know that they are offering a "premium" nearly unobtainable service, which will be passed onto the customer at a premium price.

Now if your able to do the work yourself I would be sure you will be able to source parts. Would probably be a good idea to stock up on parts so that way when they are not available you have them. If it ends up to where you no longer have the money and someone else needs parts that you have and they are not available anywhere else you are now in the proper spot to be in as far as selling power.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
If you want it I would negotiate a deal that was equal to buying the boat without a motor. Surely a seller with half a functioning brain would understand the dilemma with selling a boat with a motor on it that the company is no longer in business.

Theirs going to be alot of shops that will no longer work on them and the ones that will work on them are going to know that they are offering a "premium" nearly unobtainable service, which will be passed onto the customer at a premium price.

Now if your able to do the work yourself I would be sure you will be able to source parts. Would probably be a good idea to stock up on parts so that way when they are not available you have them. If it ends up to where you no longer have the money and someone else needs parts that you have and they are not available anywhere else you are now in the proper spot to be in as far as selling power.
This is horrible advice… There's literally hundreds of thousands of motors out there made by evinrude… my ETEC is 16 years old and runs absolutely perfectly… Not to mention The Service technician at the marina told me they had no plans to stop working on them, If they ever needed it… Which they don't. The above advice is ridiculous… It would be like saying mechanics refuse to work on A Saturn because they are no longer in business… or that they would jack up the prices to repair parts on a Saturn because things are no longer in business... That's just silly... lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is horrible advice… There's literally hundreds of thousands of motors out there made by evinrude… my ETEC is 16 years old and runs absolutely perfectly… Not to mention The Service technician at the marina told me they had no plans to stop working on them, If they ever needed it… Which they don't. The above advice is ridiculous… It would be like saying mechanics refuse to work on A Saturn because they are no longer in business… or that they would jack up the prices to repair parts on a Saturn because things are no longer in business... That's just silly... lol
[/QUO

I can see your point of view. After doing further research on a specific model,. Problems with ECM issues, mechanical failures and a host of other issues... It's not worth the gamble over a $50,000 boat with that model and year engine on the back of it. the only reason why Saturn isn't around is not due to manufacturing issues or mechanical issues or failures it's because the deal fell through with Penske and GMC decided to stick with the most popular line of vehicles.

It might be silly to you but you're not the one pay ing that amount of money for an inferior product. And that's a hefty gamble and the person doesn't want to be up shits creek.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Well we all have our own thoughts and opinions. I know of a few guys that say they will no longer touch them. Just because the guy you know will work on them doesn't mean that the guy down the road will still touch them as well.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,740 Posts
I own a johnson fast strike. Johnson has not made that motor of many years. you can still get parts. I wouldn't worry too much about it. when it is a motors time to go, they go. And many marine mechanics, at least the best ones, will specialize in a specific brand of motor. Find your guy and keep him around. when he retires, switch brands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts