Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking to repower my v-20 because I'm sick of the headaches with my current motor. Just wondering what everyone's opinion on any problems with either the new etecs or merc. I've read a little bit about the etec and its seems like a nice motor with little maintenance. Looking to get a 115 hp. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also where should I go to buy. Im located in north Ridgeville but don't have a problem traveling. Thanks!

·
Boatless
914 Posts
I have a '07 Suzuki DF 115 on my starcraft and wouldnt trade it for anything. It is so quit and smooth you forget its even running. Not trying to make you change your mind.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
By most reports, the Mercury's performance #'s are a tad better than the e-tec. The e-tec talks up their "low maintenance", but honestly there's only so many ways to build a 2 cycle outboard, and most of the guy I know with e-tech's still do the same maintenance routines that they would do with any other motor. If you don't have any "brand loyalty" getting in your way, I would base my purchase on price and how reputable the nearest dealer is for each brand. Any motor can have problems or blow. The service after the sale is something many people don't factor in until it's too late. And whichever you choose, I highly recommend the longest warranty coverage they will offer. Same as cars, nowadays, a motor is only as good as the warranty that comes with it. You just can't tear them apart in your own garage anymore...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Mercury! But both motors are the same...dont buy in to maintenence or service issues or sales pitches. They all require basic maintenence...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've noticed Vics getting good reports on this site before, he sells both brands also as I recall.

I own a 250 Etec, great motor. If you can hold off 'til spring Bombardier/Evinrude, as well as others usually have special added warrenty deals going then. Getting as much warrenty coverage as offered means a lot and hopefully you never need it. These aren't the motors to be working on in the garage as someone else mentioned.....though there is some basic info found on the internet if you're mechanically inclined and not afraid to try.
I also previously owned a Suzuki 4 stroke and agree with the above poster, another GREAT motor ! dealer network is limited around here.
I likely would've had a 250 4 stroke Suzuki when I was in the market had the weight been closer to the same as Etec.

Something to consider.....the 4 strokes seem to be very fuel efficient, not that my Etec isn't, but there's high cost XD-100 oil to be added or (my belief)the warrenty gets voided, they also recommend OMC fuel conditioner which doesn't hurt with todays gas.
I have a 30hp Merc EFI 4 stroke on my smaller boat and it SIPS fuel.

Good luck with whatever your choice may be.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Under 200 hp outboards.

E tec more high rpm horse power in general.Tend to grenade more then below.

Mercs are in the middle on all data.

Yamaha most reliable of the 3.Lowest of the 3 in high rpm hp.Higher maintenance cost.

2 strokes truck.4 strokes still have a ways to go.

·
Banned
818 Posts
IMO is stay away from etec's everyone I know who had one either had a power head replaced and/or had problems with their power heads. I'd prefer mercury over evinrude. Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts