Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Only brand I have run in the last 40+ years. I still use a 1979 and a 1991 9.9. I have a 60 hp E TEC don't know what I am going to do now that they went out of business.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There's been quite a bit of speculation since the abrupt announcement of Etec production being discontinued. I believe it's still too early to know how the whole thing plays out.....how long will parts be available ? will Etec dealers continue to work on Etec' and be backed by BRP* and honor warranties? (haven't needed to research it) I'm hopeful that all questions will be answered positively, as I own 2 Etecs....(one with one without warranty) and these aren't your back-yard fix-em-yourself OMC Johnson / Evinrude outboards that I grew up with over many years of boating.

Now,, would I buy an Etec in these times of uncertainty new or used as Catstalker1956 seems to be implying in his post? Probably not! .... at least not without having the needed questions answered from a long-time OMC/BRP dealership or for that matter any dealership willing to work on an Etec outboard.
As I recall my dealer telling me, "BRP - REQUIRED hours of training and periodic re-certification plus ever-changing computer programs and skills to work on the Etec engines"
I know this... I'll continue to run my Etecs 'til they won't run anymore, then I'll worry about someone fixing them if they can be fixed. Likely no different than anyone would do with any other outboard brand.

*Bombardier Recreational Products

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The news release said they will be honoring all currant warranties. Parts will be available for years maybe not brp but after market. The shops already have the training needed and it won't change. If I could afford to buy a new one today I would before they are gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts