close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

evinrude 9.9

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by deerhunter, Sep 6, 2005.

1. i have a evinrude 9.9 it is not running has spark and cranks but wont run can someone help i no nothing about this motor the model is te10relesc dont no the year any info will help

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

try squirting some gas into the cylinders. also the spark may be too week to fire the gas. try squirting the gas in the carb first. check the choke also to see if it is stuck.the motor needs 2 things to fire. a strong spark,and good gas and air of course.

3. the motor is geting lots of gas the pluds are wet it loos like to much gas
    im going to get new pluge today anything else i can try
    this moter has sat for years do i need to rebuild the carb
    and i do not know the year of this motor can someone help me out

4. If it sat for years then there is a real good chance that the carb needs rebuilt. There is probably significant varnish buildup. While you are at it you may want to replace the water pump impeller. They tend to get very brittle over time and although it may pump good initially but they can go on you later. You definitely do not want to be running it without a good water pump.

Hopefully that is all and you can put the motor to good use.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

wet plugs will not fire.try again with new plugs. choke the motor too. if they get wet again you prolly have a weak spark.check to see if the choke closes when you choke it and try to start it.

6. Check for spark. My coils went bad and for about $65.00 you can replace both coils. It was frustrating because I was thinking carb the whole time.

7. Check for spark. My coils went bad and for about $65.00 you can replace both coils. It was frustrating because I was thinking carb the whole time.

8. o.k i rebuilt the carb and new plugs now motor will start bit i weill only start if i remove the gas line a and crank and crank and the motor will slowly start and the i can put the gas line back on. then i can throw the motor to drive and it will run good but if i put it back to idle it will stall. what can i do now

9. Go to a johnson/evinrude dealer and get a can of Johnson's Engine Tune. It comes in a spray can. This is what my dealer had me do 20+ yrs. ago and it works very well. Get a clear measuring glass that has ounces marked on it. For a 6 gal. tank put 1 1/2 oz. in the tank. In a 12 gal tank put in 3 oz. It will foam when you spray it in the glass but will settle quickly. It will clean the varnish out of the carb and decarbon the engine. Watch the exhaust as you run it, gas it up to full throttle and it will spit carbon out. Does a great job. Also put it in the tank for winter storage and you need nothing else added. Keeps the carb from gumming up and no water in the tank. Will fire right up in the spring!