Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to start gathering supplies for ice fishing. I have no idea how to ice fish as i am from texas so feel free to post anything and everything about ice fishing. I am in west toledo so a good spot to ice fish would be good to know. what will i need? safety concerns? insider secrets? thanks all and i will appreciate your responses.

·
Muskie Bug
307 Posts
There is a Hardwater Discussion on this webstie, that is dedicated solely to ice fishing. There are some good tips on that forum that can help you out, along with people that ice fish around you. My advice to you is if you have never done it before, go with somebody who knows what they are doing and when it is SAFE to go. It is not fun to fall through the ice.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
i would like to start gathering supplies for ice fishing. I have no idea how to ice fish as i am from texas ....
Haha, too funny! The first day with cold temps and you are thinking ice fishing.... Yeah, I bet this is a bit different weather than Texas!!! Just kidding with ya, I went through my stuf today as well thinking of what goodies I need to buy. :D

Depends mostly on what fish you target for your tackle. It has been years since I have fished Erie. I fish reservoirs for bluegills, crappie and perch if I can find them. An ice rod that is very limp is the best and spring bobbers help. I usually take along a couple tip-ups also to set out for catfish. Here is an idea of what I take..... Warm clothes, good gloves & boots a must, a SHARP auger, ice scoop, form pin to make ice checks, bucket for a seat, kids sled to carry gear, box of wax worms and some salted minnies. I take 2 ice rods and 2 tip-ups but plan to get more tip-ups this year. I am very low tech, no shanty or sonar, but also don't go out for a whole day and sit on the ice. I would check the hardwater board for sure and go out with someone who has been out before.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
dont do it!!! go back to texas where there is no ice...its an addiction you dont want to get into!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
since you're from texas the most important thing is WARM CLOTHES!!!!!!! take more than you need. you can always shed layers. its colder than you think out there when the wind starts blowing ;)

·
can't land em Teddy
350 Posts
safety gear is important: rope, ice picks, spud.
Ice quality varies from body of water to body of water: You are looking for what is called black ice which is clear and free of a lot of air bubbles. White ice is typically poorer quality ice, possibly a freeze melt scenario or lots of vegetation below releasing heat.

Most important item is good 100% waterproof boots.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
i would like to start gathering supplies for ice fishing. I have no idea how to ice fish as i am from texas so feel free to post anything and everything about ice fishing. I am in west toledo so a good spot to ice fish would be good to know. what will i need? safety concerns? insider secrets? thanks all and i will appreciate your responses.
I moved here from Georgia and over the past few years gathered some things together. The 2 most important things you need are warm clothes & boots , and a good sharp auger , everything else can be improvised. Definately pay attention to what these guys on here tell you , they know what they are talking about and they can help you out a lot. Just to get started tho , all you really need is an auger , rod ( which can be made instead of bought ), tackle and bait, and cold weather clothing. ....Those would be the bare minimum but you will eventually wish you had a shelter of some sort to get out of the wind. After you have these things you will keep running into situations where something else would be useful and then get it to add to your collection. Depending on the amount of money you are willing to spend on it you can get into the electronics and creature comforts that the hobby has to offer which seem to improve your ability to catch fish or atleast make it more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Aw icefishing, where you drill a hole in the ice and pour money into it, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Truthfully, you can get by very cheap ice fishing. The best thing you can do though is buy a quality auger. Makes life much easier and then you won't have an excuse not to move and scout around to find the fish. A couple of cheap poles, a few ice jigs and you are ready to go. I have three shanties and in 10 years probably only used them 5 times total. Good boots are a necessity though. Wher do you plan on fishing texasfisherman?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts