ever try a halo egg?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Fishaholic69, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

any fly fisherman ever try a halo egg? http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/ftying/patterns/eggs/halo_egg/

I had a lil better idea wanted to one up the halo egg and instead of using the craft beads buy these steelhead egg beads in a ruby roe color. then cover them in orange, chartruese, pink ,cheese or whatever color glo or mcfly foam i got. my thought being then that its basically a blood dot inside the egg pattern. what do u guys think? will that work? seems like it would have a cool looking effect! whats the best size egg to get. 6mm 8mm or 10mm. I read somewhere a steelhead egg is about 6mm. but wasn't sure if thats true.

2. Fishaholic69

after reading more I think 6 mm eggs will be best. but will these fit on a size 10 egg hook or so? guess u can always tie it on top of the hook with thread or mono, kinda like the glue egg on the same link.. I figure for 2 bux u get 45 egg beads so what the heck. might as well try my luck out. I am also gonna make some maggots out of white dubbing some clear scud back and mono to rib it. then a touch a black perm marker for the head. I love any reason to buy some more materials!

3. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

I like that pattern. I think your idea of the egg bead would be better than the plastic bead or maybe even a small red yarn egg covered in white, orange ect. I’m going to tie a few myself with yarn on the inside and see what they look like. That tied maggot sounds interesting. I’d like to see a pic of it once you finish it.

4. Fishaholic69

http://buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying/maggot/maggot.htm

there is that maggot pattern. also am gonna make a inch worm pattern with chartruese midge tubing that I seen in the eastern fly fishing magazine. but not use that for steelhead just summer fishing.
    on another site people are saying the beads might not fit on a hook. if not u can always tie them on top of the hook tho. they show u how on the trout beads page. i was looking at mepps egg stash in the post where can i get some eggs and if u match his color to the caramel roe color on troutbeads they r identical.. also alot of guys said that the fish didn't like the beads cause they are hard. but I was thinking they have to bite it to kno if its hard or not? heres a site of the trout beads and it seems like they caught fish with um and that they fit on hooks. unless they just used something else to catch the fish then stuck that in there lip . u never kno. http://www.troutbeads.com/

5. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Yeah, I thought about the bead being hard too but then thought if they don’t feel the bead I’m sure they’ll feel the hardness of the hook not to mention the fish that are caught on lead head jigs. I was more thinking that something soft my stay in the fish’s mouth a little longer, giving you second or two more before the possibility of being spit out. I tied a few with salmon orange egg yarn in the middle and white on the outside on a size 14 hook. They look like a single egg going through a color change :cool: and look more real than a blood dot. Can’t wait to fling them if the rivers levels ever cooperate. Another option for the trout beads, you might want to try a fabric store like Jo-Ann fabrics. Take the hook with you. Sometime they have open bins and you can size them till you find one that works.
    Thanks for the link to the maggot pattern. It almost looks like a scud or shrimp pattern.

6. Fishaholic69

ya basically it does look just like a scud. but does resemble the trusty maggot also. bet it prolly would work just like a scud tho. ya they have some soft eggs you can buy also i seen around. could try those too. i am just trying to make as much egg patterns as possible. post those pix of your eggs if ya get a chance. let me know if they work. you are right. soft prolly gives you a few seconds longer than they taste hard and spit right away. could work tho. never know until you try

7. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Here are a few that I tied using a small yarn egg in the middle instead of the bead. I have a crappy camera so the close ups (remember, it's a size 14 hook) didn’t come out to great but I feel they will work pretty good. They do look better in real life. I’ve dropped some hints to Mrs. Claus so I’m hoping I’ll get a good camera for Christmas.

This one is white on red
    [​IMG]

White on pink
    [​IMG]

white on cream
    [​IMG]

and white on salmon orange
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to try them out. Thanks for the pattern FH69.

8. Fishaholic69

no problem on that pattern. try that site for more egg patterns too. your eggs are not bad at all! wait till ya get um wet thats when they look good!! someone also suggested to used estaz as the inside middle egg too. I will make some when I get the egg yarn. keep ya posted.