close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever see a waterspout?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KaGee, Sep 15, 2007.

1. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I've never seen one on Erie. Seen video of them over other waters. Has anyone ever seen one out on Erie?

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Many times..........

3. Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!

I think it was last summer we were fishing out of Fairport Harbor. We saw at least 25 in a days fishing one formed right over us but most were far to the east. I got some great shots of them actually picking up large amounts of water. I sent some photos to Big Daddy. He may still have them as I can't seem to locate my photos. We were never in danger, the one that was forming over us made us move a little quicker than we had planned but that was it. Caught fish that day too!
    DC

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

those photos are in an old post i found.search for "waterspouts" and you'll find the thread.only problem is all i got was those damned red x's in the post instead of the pics:(

5. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I have seen several here and in Florida. It is funny that you bring this up because when we woke up this morning I said "look outside, this is waterspout weather"

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

only ever saw 1 on erie, saw them all the time in the navy. even saw 3 at once cross in front of the carrier i was on, that was cool

7. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

What kind of damage can a waterspout do?

If you see one do you hi-tale back to the land?

8. Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!

They are called a Tornado on the water and look much like one. I have heard they can dump a lot of water in a hurry so best to be far enough away to enjoy them through the lense of a camera. Depending on the weather and your location I don't think you always have to head for shore. Just be safe and use your head.
    DC

9. BigV

BigV BigV

While watching TV??

10. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I brought it up because SAturday, weather under ground had posted a marine warning for possible waterspouts.

11. ive seen one water spout split into three spouts before. it was right by catawba state ramp. pretty cool only because i wasn't out in a boat near it.

12. Did you see what one did to Cape Coral,Fla yesterday? Started as a water spout in the Gulf and moved on shore where it became a tornado. Had winds up to 110 mph. Did a lot of damage and there was one report of minor injury.

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I have seen them a few times, mostly off of Lorain, I have a couple cool pics of them in my photo gallery if you want to see what one looks like. We seen a couple about to form a couple weeks ago, same place again...lorain. I wonder if it has something to do with the current off Lorain, where's Dick Goddard when you need em!:D

14. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

There's a water spout right here......:D

Attached Files:

15. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

:D Good one Matt. He said something last night that made absolutely no sense I think he was trying to be funny but failed miserably. LOL. He's starting to lose his touch. what is he now about 126 :p

16. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

and buttered:p

17. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I was out that day, North of Geneva. Waterspouts all around, but the water we were trolling in was 1 footers or less. There was a call from the Geneva Marina of a big thunderstorm working through and suggested beating feet back to shore. I gave the wife a call to check the weather radar at home, and wouldn't you know, all those fishermen (and there were a lot) that heeded the recall got a wet azz because the storm was sitting right over the marina.:D We stayed out and filled the limit. And, outside of the numerous, but very compact, cells out on the lake producing the waterspouts, the winds were light. You just need to use your noggin out there on the big water.

Workdog