Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday was just horrible for me. My work called me at 3 AM to help cover a shift that some one reported off for. No biggie I could use the extra money. Headed into work at 330AM and got a flat tire, gotten written up for being late when I got to work even though I went out and brought the flat tire into my boss and showed him. Still a no go. Finally make it home at 430 PM and walk into my house and can hear water running in my basement. I knew it was probably goig to get some water cause of all the rain, but there was literally a foot of water down there. Water was coming out of the walls and it looked like a drinking fountain. The water got so high beside my house that water came in through the dryer vent, filled the dryer vent house and my dryer full of water. Ever hear a dryer full of water running? At first I thought the belt had broken till I moved it away from the wall and the vent hose came off the back and water started pouring out the back of my dryer. OK, out to the garage to grab the shop vac and start sucking up water. On the way there I happen to look in my winter beater and the Mustang parked one behind the other in the driveway and see stuff strewn all over inside both of them, glove boxes wide open. Some one had broken into both of them. Not sure how cause they were both locked. They didnt take anything just made a huge mess inside both cars. I was heated to say the least. Go into the garage and notice the side door open, which was also locked and see that my lawn mower is gone, second one in 2 years I have had stolen. All I could do was SMH, grab the shop vac and start on the water. It was a horrible day. Im done complaining now, just wanted to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Dang.. They called you in and still wrote you up for being late? I thought my boss was bad. Usually, when I have a day like that, I go buy a lottery ticket. With all the bad luck usually Good luck has to turn up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup. I was supposed to be in no later than 4AM, we have a one hour recall limit from the time we pick up the phone and say we can come in to the time we walk through their door, and i didn't make it till 410. Like I said, it was a bad day yesterday, lol

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I would have turned around and went back home....I would give them good reason for the write up(especially doing them the favor for coming at all), and that might have saved the rest of the events you had to deal with

·
1,915 Posts
Yep! Just call some one else! Had that happen a while back.Now they can just keep on going without me.Was even threatened once .Said I could be in trouble for Not coming in:p I told him to let me know how that works for you!! As for the other stuff,I would really be hard to live with on a day like that.I hope things get better for you.Nothing I can't stand worse than Thieves!%

·
Registered
763 Posts
wow :eek: think you just won Worst day ever contest, jeez. I'd go buy a lottery ticket with the numbers 7/11.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep! Just call some one else! Had that happen a while back.Now they can just keep on going without me.Was even threatened once .Said I could be in trouble for Not coming in:p I told him to let me know how that works for you!! As for the other stuff,I would really be hard to live with on a day like that.I hope things get better for you.Nothing I can't stand worse than Thieves!%
We have have been threatened with the same thing before. They called it "Refusal to work". I asked my boss how I can be refusing to work if I am already at home and not scheduled to come in for another 5 hours. I still have yet to get an answer from him about it. The only reason I agreed to go in early is because I am trying to clean my credit history up so i can get a house loan through the VA and I need the money to pay off some medical bills on there. I have even considered selling the Stang. I love the car and have a lot of time and money in it, but priorities are priorities and a house comes before the car. I can always save and get another Mustang. Thieves just boil my blood. Everyone wants everything these days but mo one wants to work for it. They'll just take it form some one else. Its pathetic.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Yesterday... Dropped my wallet twice on my way into work at 5 am. Finally figured out somehow I ripped the but out of my jeans. I stopped and bought a lottery ticket that morning and it fell out as well. A couple hours later I hear a guy won $100 on a ticket he found in the yard. What can ya do?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
We have have been threatened with the same thing before. They called it "Refusal to work". I asked my boss how I can be refusing to work if I am already at home and not scheduled to come in for another 5 hours. I still have yet to get an answer from him about it. The only reason I agreed to go in early is because I am trying to clean my credit history up so i can get a house loan through the VA and I need the money to pay off some medical bills on there. I have even considered selling the Stang. I love the car and have a lot of time and money in it, but priorities are priorities and a house comes before the car. I can always save and get another Mustang. Thieves just boil my blood. Everyone wants everything these days but mo one wants to work for it. They'll just take it form some one else. Its pathetic.
My day today ain't going well either, but not as bad as yours for sure.

If I didn't want to come in early, I'd just tell him that I have other plans already. That's all he needs to know. Those other plans might be just sleeping, but that's your right to do what you want. He can call the next guy on his list.

Good luck on getting a house. We just bought one and moved out of the city. Got tired of people "checking" our cars to see if they were locked in the middle of the night! Also moved the kids to a better school district.

Now is a great time to buy with the interest rates low and the home prices still low. If you want a fixer upper, there are a lot of great deals out there on foreclosures and short sales. My wife is a real estate agent and she found us a deal on a short sale for a house we bought for 60% of the county's appraised value. We had to do a lot of work on it, including hiring a contractor for some of the work, but it was worth it. Dealing with banks on these sales is a pain and takes longer than a normal sale, but you get a good deal for the headache. You just have to inspect these houses really well because they are sold "as is".

It might be worth it to sell the Stang now to get a house while the market for buying one is still good. Just depends on how much you can get and how much it will help you get to the place you want to be faster.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a bad day, but next time they call, if you want the overtime, tell them you will get there as soon as you can. Never ever give a time.
Unfortunately this is not an option for us. We have a one hour recall window when we agree to come in. So if they call us at 3AM and we agree to come in, before we hang up they give us the time at the station, like "OK, I have 305AM here" that gives me till exactly 405AM on their clocks to walk through the door. Its a BS rule when things happen that are out of your control,like a flat tire. Next time I will just let it go to voice mail.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My day today ain't going well either, but not as bad as yours for sure.

If I didn't want to come in early, I'd just tell him that I have other plans already. That's all he needs to know. Those other plans might be just sleeping, but that's your right to do what you want. He can call the next guy on his list.

Good luck on getting a house. We just bought one and moved out of the city. Got tired of people "checking" our cars to see if they were locked in the middle of the night! Also moved the kids to a better school district.

Now is a great time to buy with the interest rates low and the home prices still low. If you want a fixer upper, there are a lot of great deals out there on foreclosures and short sales. My wife is a real estate agent and she found us a deal on a short sale for a house we bought for 60% of the county's appraised value. We had to do a lot of work on it, including hiring a contractor for some of the work, but it was worth it. Dealing with banks on these sales is a pain and takes longer than a normal sale, but you get a good deal for the headache. You just have to inspect these houses really well because they are sold "as is".

It might be worth it to sell the Stang now to get a house while the market for buying one is still good. Just depends on how much you can get and how much it will help you get to the place you want to be faster.
BDawg, thanks for the kind words. I didnt really want to go in early but everytime I walk away from some extra money that could be going towards getting the house I want I feel like I am in some way letting my family down, they want to move out of Akron just as badly as I do. i am sure some can relate to that feeling of letting some one down because they just didnt want to do something. Its kinda like that. And I do not want my 3 boys going to Akron city schools, absolutley not. I grew up in Canalfulton, graduated from Northwest in 98. Im ready to go back to the country although canalfulton is way bigger than it was when I first moved there 25 years ago.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,082 Posts
Unfortunately this is not an option for us. We have a one hour recall window when we agree to come in. So if they call us at 3AM and we agree to come in, before we hang up they give us the time at the station, like "OK, I have 305AM here" that gives me till exactly 405AM on their clocks to walk through the door. Its a BS rule when things happen that are out of your control,like a flat tire. Next time I will just let it go to voice mail.
damn, that is a BS rule.. let it go to voice mail for sure..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I wish my wife felt the same way as you do about walking away from extra money that could help the family. We'd of moved out of akron a lot sooner if she didn't let opportunities to make money pass her by so often. She's too picky about where she wants to work! I took the drastic step of cashing in most of my retirement fund for the down payment, taking the 10% penalty, and paying taxes on the money just to get my kids in better schools!

Luckily, we found a house that was a good investment, a fixer upper, and we now have a house that is worth $40k more than what we owe according to our latest appraisal. I consider that equity to be my new retirement fund.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's a big step and was stressful at times, but it was worth it for me. With your work ethic, I'm sure you'll get a chance to buy the house you want soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.