close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever had that sinking feeling?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SwollenGoat, Jun 16, 2007.

1. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Well, saw that Misfit was out on Hoover and I needed to get him his new boat decals. Decided to hitch the boat up and ask Littleking to come along. Got to the ramp about 10:45 and started getting the boat prepped for launch. Everything OK? Yup, said Eric. Since Eric was still recovering from his knee surgery, I let him stay in the boat and I would launch him.

Dropped in the water Eric gets the motor going and idles off the trailer. I drive the truck up, lock the doors, head down to the ramp and hop in the boat. As we pull away from the dock I flip the bilge on just to check. (Nervous habit some say.) Big fat stream of water starts pumping out the side!?!? Hmmm, was there something left in there from last trip? Pump continues to run for 10 seconds more....I motion Eric to take the wheel (he's on the phone) I hop up and undo the access hatch in front of the motor. To my surprise about a foot of water is sloshing around inside! :eek: I yell to Eric, "Hey, get off the phone - we're sinking!" He looks at me and goes right back to his conversation. I say, "No, really - we're taking on water somewhere!" He finally hangs up and I ask him again if he put the drain plug in. "Yeah, I tightened it up snug too!" Knowing I didn't have time to get the trailer, I beached it on the shore near the ramp.

After checking a few things I reach down below the transom.

Sure enough, plug is in....and it's tight.

BUT IT DOESN'T WORK WELL WHEN YOU PUT IT IN THE LIVEWELL DRAIN! :mad: ;) :D

Back to fishing 20 minutes later...

2. Glad you caught it that early. I always kept a spare plug ziptied to the dash on mine.

3. ha, yep that happened to me about a month ago, but i was by myself and put in at oxbow, tied the boat up on the other side of the dock, went to park the truck, meanwhile another guy pulled up to launch his boat as i reached the dock to discover my boat fillin with water........that sucks!!!!!!

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hahahaha!!!i'm real proud of you guys..................and dan too:D :D
    at least i know that when i'm gone,there will be someone to carry on with my misadventures:D

5. Been there,done that-LOL.

I did that last year crappie fishing at IL and the ramp at blackhawk. After I turned the 1st channel, I noticed water in the back corner by the oil tank.

My livewell intake is only 3 inches from my drain plug-pretty easy miss if I'm in a hurry at a busy ramp.

I knew I hit the wrong hole,so reached under my boat,unplugged it and plugged the correct hole. Lucky I didn't drop it!

Took over an hour to bilge it out.

6. lol. i just have to use the ole, cut off the top tide bottle "used for pee jug" to dip the water outa mine, no live well, bilge, just a hole in the back of the boat with a plug..sometimes plug floating......haha and me dipping water like crazy b4 everything is soaked or becomes somones gps mark on the bottom of the lake......lmao sh.. happens

7. That is another reason for a pontoon, I am really glad you shared the story, way to go LK.

8. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

it'd help if you DIDN'T HAVE THREE DAMN HOLES TO PUT A PLUG IN! :)

never had a complaint about being able to find the hole... regardless if it was the right one!

im still sticking to my story of YOU WATCHING ME PUT THE PLUG IN!

9. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I was wondering what was holding you up at the ramp. Anytime you get to close to rick these type of things happen.
    SwollenGoat, I think you need to make a sticker to put above it with the famous line we have heard..."wrong hole"

10. bEEN THERE DONE THAT NO BILGE ON THE LIL RED TIN CAN AND i WAS AFRAID SHE WOULD OF BEEN ON THE BOTTOM BEFORE i GOT THE TRAILER BACK . sO I FIRED IT UP AND TOOK OFF IT TOOK A WHILE BUT THE WATER RAN OUT SLOWLY BUT SURELY THEN i STOPPED PUT THE PLUG IN THAT THE LUG FORGOT TO PUT IN WHICH CAUSED ME TO GET WET IN MID NOV SO i THEN TOOK IT BACK LOADED IT AND WINTERIZED HER. hAPPEND AGAIN DIFF BOAT i LAUNCH IT AT FENWICKS IM HEADED TO THE BOAT MY BRO IS HEADED TO THE HEAD HE SAYS MAN YOUR BOAT SURE GURGGLES ALOT I TURNED AROUND TO THE TRUCK AND SAID GET READY TO PULL THE BOAT NO PLUG. i THINK HE SAID WHAT A LUGNUT AHH THE MEMORIES THATS ANOTHER REASON WHY WE FISH.

11. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

-lol- Well, at least Eric can rest assured he isn't the only one who has done that. Just have to give him a hard time once in a while. (God knows, he never forgets the boneheaded stuff I do.):D