close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever had a day on the water like this?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jellywormer, Jun 28, 2007.

1. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

I offer for your amusement the short and sweet details of my fishing trip to Brookville yesterday:

5:45pm: After checking the weather (scattered showers possible)my wife and I head to Brookville for 3-4 hours fishing
    6:30: Arrive at Brookville and realize we have left the boat keys at home! Trolling motor will have to do
    6:31: We decide to fish close to the dock and begin casting crankbaits.
    6:45: A big storm blows thru and we head to the very back of a cove and wait for it to blow over
    7:00: It blows over and we go back to fishing
    7:30: the bite picks up and we start catching spots, smallies and stripes
    7:45: I catch a nice channel cat on the crank and as I am trying to get him off my lure and back in the water, he jumps and one of the trebles buries deep in my hand - now the weight of the fish is pulling the treble deeper into my hand and I scream like I haven't in some time.
    7:50: I get the cat off and back in the water. Continue fishing
    8:00: I start casting one of my favorite vintage hellbenders and I get it hung in a tree. I shake and pull gently at first which doesn't work. I start to go in to get it when my line gets caught up in the trolling motor which then snaps the line- but wait it gets better- then the lure falls on the water surface for a moment and then a bass pounds it and STEALS MY LURE!
    8:30: My wife catches a 3 lbs bass!
    8:40: A very black and ugly storm creeps up behind us without us knowing.
    8:50: We are now racing back to the dock on the trolling motor
    9:00: The storm hits with huge wind, spectacular lightning and you name it and I can't fire up my motor to get it on the trailer
    9:15 after struggling in water up to my waist I get the boat hooked up and we head for home

Just another day in paradise

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Let me guess...you're a not so distant relative to Misfit...! :D :D

3. It sounds like a great day to me.:D I could make you feel better and recap my day but it would basically be a list of work and honeydews.:D:p

I was waiting for you to say that you jumped in and grabbed the end of the broken line and landed him that way.:p

4. shadesplace

shadesplace Game Champion

A bad day fishing beats a good day working anytime.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Sounds like one of my days out latley. Still you can look back and laugh. Glad you got the boat on and home safe. S

6. He can't be related to Misfit. If he was he would have had the boat keys and not the plug. :D

Sounds like a nice evening on the water minus the storms and the lost lure.

7. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Days like this make you appreciate the good days! Gald you got in safe.

8. iteech

iteech Shebasser

...sometimes I wonder if times like this were meant to make us humble. I spent a very painstaking evening last week going to all my "spots"...each one had too much pressure, so I just wandered for a while and found a little hole someone had told me about. I was so excited, it looked good, not a soul on it--it looked so 'delicious', if you know what I mean...great cover, trees hanging over the water, looked deep in the middle etc. Very little time--one hour from dark, I had wasted so much time finding a place. I parked the SUV and went tearing to the back to unload my equipment...and the hatch was empty. I had taken my rods and tackle out to clean it a few days before, and didn't put them back in...:(...I swear i felt like going to the water and scooping fish with my hands...:p

9. Not fishing, but several years ago went duck hunting on CJ. Arrived well
    before dawn, launched boat, got to our blind, set up decoy spread, sat back
    in our blind to enjoy a cup of coffee. Just before legal gunning time pulled
    our shotguns out of their cases, then reached for the drybox with our shotgun shells. You guessed it, left it back home in my garage. All that work and all we could do was call and watch !! Never will live that one down.

10. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Hey jelly nice to see you still posting. Might not have been a great time but at least you were able to get out and fish.

:D

11. man i remember using my favorite popper on a small pa lake, it got hung up in a tree and i yanked until the line snapped, the lure hit the water, no problem, it floats, as i reach down to get it i notice a very big set of eyes looking at me, A jumbo sized pickerel staring at my popper. I thought better of grabbing it and just netted the lure. I picked up my worm rod tossed about 15 feet away to a lay down and proceeded to land a 5.13 ounce beauty of a bass, that was a fun morning

12. Yeah...I have one of those days everytime I visit my brother-in-law and he takes me to one of his new "secret spots" and we catch no fish. I think I have fished about 100 of his secrets spots now and it's always the same thing: this is the place where we are really going to tear them up....but it never happens.

13. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

My uncle and I were putting the boat in the Cumberland River. His truck wheel went off the ramp and got stuck in the mud. This happens as I am slipping the boat into the river. There is a pretty stiff current that day and I float off the trailer into the river rather quickly. He is trying to get the truck unstuck from the mud. In the boat, the engine will not start as I drift farther and farther down stream. He is yelling at me to help him and I yelling at him that I am drifting with no power. Luckily, I get swept into a downed tree trunk and it stops me. He gets the truck unstuck eventually by throwing gravel under the wheel. Another boat pulled me back to the ramp.

We laugh about it now, but for those 5 minutes it was scary.