Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do it?

I've always just done morning trips but can get more time on the water (hopefully more fish in freezer) going after the wife gets off work during the week.

Kelly's Island/marblehead area out of Foxhaven

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've done well all times of the day, even around 1 or 2 o'clock when most fish turn off. I have done well in the evening too. I agree with others though, the bite always seemed to turn off once the light levels are pretty low. Good luck, you'll do fine!

·
5,997 Posts
From what i have seen and heard perch are sight feeders mostly. So in muddy ,heavy clouds or night the bite is real slow. But other then that feeding perch are feeding perch real bait hogs. like other fish just need to locate a feeding school. I have seen many guys sit in a place catching 1-2 an hour. I wont i will move till they hit good. all the time wasted moving and pulling anchor can be made up in a short time with a feeding school. Just my opinion im no fish expert!

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Tonight at Perry in 42 fow was so hot it was sick, couldn't even drop to bottom and pull up without a fish or 2 or 3. Almost all were Jumbos, have some pics if you want, 2 coolers full. Once dark hit turned to white perch and bass. So much fun....

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,477 Posts
I have always wondered, I have a floating light that connects to the battery. Great for crappie and white bass to draw to the surface. I just wonder if it would work on them perch. Hmmmm.
why not try one of the lights that sinks and then light the way for the fish. have used this technique on Dale Hollow lake in Tennessee for deep suspended trout and it works great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mid-September until I can't get shiners any longer we do a lot of afternoon perch fishing right off Marblehead on the North side of the lighthouse in 20-22 fow. We can leave the ramp in Sandusky at 4pm and be back to the ramp by 7pm with our limit most evenings then. This time of year I haven't really done much afternoon perch fishing because this is my time to do some night time fishing for walleye on the southeast corner of Kellys if I get out, but I know guys that try to perch fish 6pm until 9pm a couple nights a week and they have been doing fairly decent up near Gull Shoal lately.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,201 Posts
We use Sabiki Rigs,,, with 'glo-in-the-dark' beads and 'slap' the bottom 3 or 4 times with 1/2oz+ sinkers. 'Call 'em in.
Kinda like these;
(now with larger hooks :) )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36050253923...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1612wt_1101
or these;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36044924834...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3061wt_1101

OR
I tie up my own sabiki/ stacker rigs.
30# main line, short 3" 20# branch line with larger #2-#1-#1/0 gold aberdeen hooks. I'll add my own 'Glo beads' to the branch line or attach/ glue a 'Glo-float' onto a long shank hook.
HAGENS
http://www.hagensfish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26&products=59

These stacker rigs/ crappie type rigs with Glo floats & or Glo beads work great when tight-lining for sauger in the muddy Ohio River, specially in the early morn & LATE evening,,,, so I had to try them for deep, low-light perching.
The 'FEEL' is great,,,, fast.
MANY of my friends are now converts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.