Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out this evening and taking my younger brother, he doesn't really fish much but has recently gotten more into it. Anyone been doing well in the cleveland Akron area? I did well last year fishing at the boathouse in mogadore, other than that I'm not too familiar with cat fishing spots in the area other than what I read on here.

Will post a report up tomorrow.

Thanks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we only managed one bullhead and a warmouth in about 5hrs, even the bluegill weren't biting! W did see someone lose a pretty big channel fishing real tight to the lily pads.

Didn't know the crappie were in there in July! I usually don't bother with them until October

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
HookoneforTheGipper
46 Posts
this is just my opinion, but portage lakes is a very underrated cat fishing lake. It may be because it is such a great bass and pan fish lake, but I have had a lot of luck cat fishing from shore this summer. There are big channel cats in there. Ive gotten multiple 20 inchers, my biggest so far is a 24 inch channel......still looking for that elusive 26 inch fish ohio haha but I cant complain....with that being said, the bluegill and bulls will strip your hook in about 20 seconds if youre using crawlers, little crappers, but jumbo shrimp is working well..... marinate the shrimp in chicken liver overnight, its working for me, good luck catching them big cats, I was reeling in my 24 incher the other night and 2 guys fishing the bass tournament watched me reel it in, we shared a few chuckels before I set him free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts