close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ESOX vs. Snakeheads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cowanmuskie, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Here's an outstanding reason why a SIZE LIMIT and DAILY BAG LIMITS should be implemented for Northern Pike (26"), and Muskies (36") and a bag limit of 2 per day. Let Ohio be the first state to address the evasive fish species problem BEFORE the "animals leave the barnyard"!

If we properly utilize our NATIVE FISH to consume the FRY and the young FINGERLINGS of these evasive species, we're that much further along in the game to protecting our native fisheries! The state established larger BASS lengths, and lengths on WALLEYES, so WHY NOT Pike and Muskies (ESOX) in OHIO!!?

Think about it, would you rather catch more/ bigger Pike and muskies, or see Snakeheads devastate our waters?

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Nov 27, 2004

Philadelphia snakehead sightings cause concern

Saturday, November 27, 2004

By The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Since an invasive, predatory species of fish dubbed the "Frankenfish" was discovered in a Philadelphia waterway this summer, eight more have been caught in the area -- worrying wildlife officials about the impact on native fishes.

The snakehead a local angler pulled from Meadow Lake in FDR Park in July was quickly followed by more hooked by officials sweeping the lake with electronic fishing gear. Another angler brought a bucket full of young snakeheads to the Academy of Natural Sciences -- proof the fish were breeding.

Officials say they assume snakeheads have gotten into the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers. They might find out this spring, when several routine fish samplings take place, area fisheries biologist Mike Kaufmann said. "It's going to be interesting," he said, "to see what happens."

Native to parts of Asia, the snakehead can breathe air and wriggle across land. It's considered dangerous because of its voracious appetite for fish and frogs, and has no known predators.

Snakeheads have been sold in the United States as a delicacy in Asian food markets and a curiosity in pet stores.

In 2002, the federal government outlawed the transport of live snakeheads, and Pennsylvania and a few other states outlawed their possession.

Officials have said that they think the snakeheads found in U.S. waters are released dinners or pets whose owners got tired of them.

The number of snakeheads caught in major waterways keeps growing.

Nineteen snakeheads, including juveniles, have been caught in the Potomac River and its tributaries so far this year. Maryland and Virginia officials teamed up with Bass Pro Shops to organize a snakehead derby, offering rewards to anglers catching the fish.

In October, an angler pulled an 18-inch snakehead from Chicago's Burnham Harbor, connected to Lake Michigan.

2. catking

catking Banned

Thanks for the read........ It still amazes me that the USA allows importation of animals that if released , can and do destroy our native species. We are still our worst own enemy. Maybe some day we will wake up ? I doubt it......... THE CATKING !!!

3. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

Who is keeping muskie and pike to the point that we need size and/or bag limits? Besides, an 20 inch pike/musky can eat something 1/4 its size (5 inches) and an 18 inch bass can eat something 1/3 it's size (6 inches) , so that's well past the fingerling stage. I would consider all of those fish to be undersized, so back in the water they go to eat some more! I think that the male snakeheads also guard thier nest (like smallmouth bass) so it would be harder to get them as fry.

This stuff has happened before (carp, gizzard shad, etc.), but these snakeheads are even worse. Big teeth, big appetites, and an even bigger attitude. I think the DNR made them illegal to possess in Ohio, so that's at least a step in the right direction.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Gizzard Shad, carpman?

edit: wow I had assumed they were native to just about anywhere. Although I googled it out of interest and found this:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/SpFactSheet.asp?speciesID=492

It's kind of hard to read and make sense of it. Although I would consider the site to be credible. From what I understand Gizzard shad are native to this portion of the country.

5. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

Sorry if I mislead. It all depends on where you are at. Some places, they are naturally occurring, while other places (like smaller lakes) they have been introduced. I guess since I am a small lake type person, I considered them to be exotic. Whoops!!!!!

That is a good site- I've looked at it before. If you page down, there's an interesting comment:

"Jordan (1882) stated that the gizzard shad was not found in Lake Erie prior to completion of the Ohio Canal".

Hmmmmmmmmm, makes you wonder. :eek: