Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and my family are coming up to go out on a headboat for vacation i was wondering if there is any point in bringing the boat but its not very big and i dont want to get out too far what about sandusky bay ? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
how small? sandusky bay would be good for a small boat. as far as the lake i would not reccomend anything smaller than a deep 14 ftr. even for in close fishing. east harbor would be another good place for a small boat.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a 13 1/2 foot with a 9 1/2 horse and I have gone into Fairport Harbor and around the breakwall when conditions allow. I have also gone out of the Chagrin a couple times. Last week I trolled and got a couple walleye 19 and 17 inches in 41-43 FOW out in front of the Eastlake CEI plant. Afternoons into the evening after the wind dies down and the water is calm and no threat of storms, I think, would be OK. But ya still have to be careful. I wouldn't venture far from safe harbor.

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
me and a buddy of mine was fishing out in front of fairport harbor in my 14 ft semi-v aluminum boat. we was west of the light house in 37 fow and caught a 2 man limit of perch, we was a little ways out but that was as far as i wanted to go and i felt ok with the conditions of erie that day. the coast guard was out that day and was checking people and said the walleye was out deeper and i told him this was as far as i was going. just make sure the conditions are right before u adventure out past the break wall.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How small is your boat? If it is a 14 footer, then you have options depending on where you go. If it is a 12, do not go on the open lake.

Jim

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
for years they rented 14 foot metal boats with 10 HP motors at lakemont landing on a good day you would see them as far out as the Toledo water intake

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Bay Is Bigger Than Most Lakes. You Could Utilize Miller Ferry To Transport Car And Boat To South Bass. You Can Camp Or Rent Cottage On Island If There Are Vacancies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts