Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of Lorain yesterday at 9am to wet test my new i-pilot with a dozen minnows.
Using a spreader a ft or 2 off the bottom caught 6 keeper perch and released 3 lil ones in about an hour and a half. Then the white bass started with a double hookup, thought I had a big drum till near the boat. Basically twins, one got off at the boat, his brother measured a honest 14". Caught several more smaller wb but no more perch. Being a inland lake and river fisherman for many years with many/many white bass caught none of them were of this size.

Is this size wb of any note? It was fun, sort of like a smaller stripper.
Is it typical for the perch to shut down with wb in the area?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dont know whats considered notable but we've caught 18"+w/b.They are huge.Usually tangle your lines when trolling.Dont know if they're hybrids or not but they amaze me how big they get.Junk fish are all over they place now if your perchin in close.Them perch are diggin in the sand so keep your bait on the bottom.Set the hook on any little pull cuz they're just suckin on the minnow mostly.If your catchin alot of junk fish your usually dangling too high.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
927 Posts
A foot or two off bottom is a little high. I do best when my bait is 2-3" off bottom with a spreader. The white bass and sheephead are huge this year all over the lake. They make things exciting on a perch rod.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Do work son.
326 Posts
From my expeirence when your on the perch its a 6:1 perch to WB ratio, usually when the white bass are moving i don't do any good on perch. I'd say thats a little above average white bass

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont know whats considered notable but we've caught 18"+w/b.They are huge.Usually tangle your lines when trolling.Dont know if they're hybrids or not but they amaze me how big they get.Junk fish are all over they place now if your perchin in close.Them perch are diggin in the sand so keep your bait on the bottom.Set the hook on any little pull cuz they're just suckin on the minnow mostly.If your catchin alot of junk fish your usually dangling too high.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
"digging in the sand" lol, I know what you mean. I was fishing in the sonar cone and not marking any fish while getting hits, 44 fow by the way, they must be hunkered down tight. I was dropping the rig to the bottom then reeling in 1' to 2' so thought it was pretty close considering the length of the rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts