close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Erie Marina Crappie?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Nov 12, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hey fellas....

Ive seen guys ice fish marinas for steelhead and smelt, but was wondering,

does anyone target crappies in the lake erie marinas through the ice?

Ive seen just a few posts regarding some nice crappie people catch in the marinas on soft water.

I guess Im just thinking out loud, Im thinking about trying the marina down at edgewater if the ice is good enough. (And if i dont get kicked out....?)

what do ya think, worth a try? Anyone ever do any good on this.....Im thinking (hoping)those marina fish dont get pressured too much and might be more than willing to bite. :confused:

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Hardwaterfan,
    Last year I fished several of the marinas in the Sandusky area. I couldn't believe the # of crappie I could see with the Aquavu but they were tight lipped, couldn't get them to hit hardly anything. I did better at the Sandusky Coal Docks (deeper water). Good size and numbers of crappie out of there last year.

Krustydawg

3. I was down to Edgewater a couple of times last year for ice fishing. I don't think the water by the docks is deep enough to hold them. I've only seen steelhead & smelt come through the ice down there. The docks can be good in the spring, but again the water has to be up somewhat. Best we ever did down there was 5 years ago when the lake water level was 3-4 feet higher than it is now.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Krusty,

When the ice is good in front of the coal docks this year, give me a shout. I've been wanting to get back up there, but it's hard for me to make a 1.5 hr drive to find the ice no good. Thanks ;)

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

hey thanks for the quick responses guys.... if i do give it a shot ill let ya know how i do.

So how deep does the water need to be to hold crappie? (in general)

Heres a pic of a steelhead my Dad caught through the ice at Edgewater last year: (auger is 6" dia.)

Attached Files: