close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Erie Canal In Akron

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Jun 15, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I was at Channelwood Village today waiting for a Direct TV appointment to get home. I arrived about an hour early. Since she wasn't home, I had some time to blow. I carry a 2 piece rod and simple tackle box in my work van for occasions just like these.

Channelwood Village is off Thorton st near Dart avenue and the canal goes rigth behind it. They have it set up like a little park corridor with walking paths and benches. So I decided to give it a try.

I threw a wacky rigged Senko on and skipped it across the canal and on the 3rd skip BAM!! A nice 3 lb bass took it right out of the air! I was completely surprised at this and now was VERY interested in the next hour. I ended up catching about 10 bass, with the biggest being that first one, and 3 catfish!! I also hooked something else, but lost it right at the canal wall. I ran out of senkos and was using the little Gulp! minnows. This fish hit it on the bottom and I have no idea what it was. I saw it for just a moment. It was about 18 inches or so long, dark brownish or black in color, and had a messed up looking skull. I did not see a mouth (maybe on the bottom of the head). It was not a carp, it looked prehistoric looking almost.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Some type of sucker, or maybe a bowfin?

2. did it have a long nose? gar maybe?

3. AndroDoug

No, I don't think so. I wish I had seen it longer. I am looking at pics of fish as we speak. The closest thing I can see might be a hog sucker.

The fish I saw had bumpy or bony protusions from its head. It was a slightly angular skull. It did not look very "sleek", so to speak.

I do not know what a bowfin looks like so I am not completely ruling that out. What else could be living in the canal or Summit Lake (which it connects to)?? What does an Asian carp look like? I sure hope it wasn't one of those.

But one thing remains clear, I was absolutely shocked at catching as many fish as I did. I thought the canal was stagnant and polluted and held few fish. Maybe I just hit the right spot at the right time. I sure wouldn't eat anything out of there!

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

maybe it was a mutant!!!

5. AndroDoug

I wouldn't doubt it LOL!!!

You don't know what kinds of chemicals were poured into that lake!

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

heck, it just started freezing over all the way a few years ago!

7. :D it was probably just one of those kenmorons going out for a swim :D

8. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

it was most likely a bowfin.that whole system is
    full of them.definally not an ''asian'' carp,but
    there is alot of asians that live in channelwood ;)