Epsom Salts In A Battery?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ruminator, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Anyone ever hear of this old method of breaking down sulphate crystalization in a lead acid battery?
    My car mechanic told me about it.

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But not much. Keep in mind that there is a balance between the electrolyte in your battery that must be maintained. When you add anything other than distilled water, you introduce chemicals that aren't supposed to be there to start with. You may get another start or another week out of an otherwise weak battery but if it's to that point, you need a battery.
    There are several electronic chargers out there that can help prevent or reduce sulfation in a battery and they work. They don't introduce any foreign material into the battery but work by pulsing the current and breaking up the deposits. If you've ever been around electric pallet jacks or towmotors, you'll find that the huge batteries in those machines are maintained by a special charger that incorporates this technology. Considering a battery for a pallet jack may weigh 500lbs and cost thousands of dollars, sulfation is a major concern.
    The best way to prevent this is to never leave your battery uncharged or undercharged for long periods of time. If the voltage drops below about 12 volts, sulfation accelerates and will kill the battery. Trickle chargers or maintainers do a decent job of keeping a battery "up" so to speak. When you go out for the day trolling, make sure you charge the batteries back up when you return home as soon as you can.

UFM82

3. I have heard OF guys who swear at doing this. They say 1 teaspoon per cell. Try it you have nothing to lose. 2 year battery lasting 5/6 years? Try it and let us know.