close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Epoxy Question.....

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Aug 18, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Check this out....put my yak in the LMR this morning and it begins slowly filling up with water. I am fishing and think, that's weird, so I go to the shore, empty it out and inspect the boat.....I see nothing wrong after a quick look.

So, I begin to fish again, as if the water earlier just magically appeared. Again, I notice water slowly filling the boat. This time I am much more concerned. I have flashbacks of the movie Titanic. Did I hit an iceburg? :)

Turns out there is a small slit, inch long at most, along the bottom of the rudder of the boat. Most likely from dragging across these shallow rivers.

I got an epoxy gel and filled the hole as well as coated the rudder section of the boat. Do you guys think this will hold? Is that stuff waterproof?? Anyone ever have any experiences like this?

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Epoxy itself is waterproof, the question is, is it the right stuff to repair the material your yak is made of??? :confused:

3. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

4. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I have been wanting to protect my yak too....I was thinking rhyno liner or some other spray on liner for the bottom of the Yak. Not sure if it would mess up the balance, but I know some of these new bed liners are REALLY thin and probably wouldn't hurt things much and would last a lifetime. If I get the courage to try it out I will let you know...New Yak this year so I haven't gotten the nerve yet...my yak seems so strong that I would never have a problem, but this shallow water in these rivers give your boat a beating.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I would contact a boat dealer or marine store and ask there advice.
    LMR, Would a spray on bed liner type slow the boat or effect the tracking, The one's I have seen are dimpled. Can they be applied smooth. That is a great idea for toughening up the boat. The surface type would be my only question. S

6. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Some bedliners have the consistancy of medium sandpaper. They might not be smooth like a "new" yak...but mine has a ton of scratches on bottom and isn't smooth anymore anyway...lol
    I am more concerned about the additional weight it adds. If it is only a pound or so, I don't think it will hurt anything. I am going to look into this!

7. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I guess wieght would be the main concern. Let us know how it goes. S

8. I got an epoxy gel and filled the hole as well as coated the rudder section of the boat. Do you guys think this will hold? Is that stuff waterproof?? Anyone ever have any experiences like this?[/QUOTE]

Epoxies are though and durable, some more so that others. You may want to check w/ the manufacturer of the boat to see what they recomend. The problem that you may have is getting the epoxy to penetrate the crack and adhear. The ends of the crack are going to be especially tough to fill. I would get the crack as clean as possible, if you can apply the epoxy on the inside of the boat, use a shop vac to suck some of the epoxy into and through the crack, then take a small drill bit and drill a tiny hole (1/16 diameter) at each end of the crack, it is very important that the crack ends at the hole, then apply some additional epoxy to the inside of the boat and use the shop vac to suck some of epoxy through the hole, apply some additional epoxy the outside of the boat for additional sealing and strength. If the crack is located where you cannot apply epoxy to the inside of the boat, you will have to apply it from the outside and work it into the crack the best you can.

9. rblake

rblake What?

10. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

A lot of great info, you guys are great

11. I would think that any putties, glues, or epoxies would at most be a temporary repair on a polyethylene kayak since these products do not adhere well to the polyethylene. This would be especially true on a crack or gouge repair on the keel area of the hull. This area receives a lot of abuse when dragging across the bank or when banging on the bottom in shallow water.

A more permanent repair may be accomplished by using a plastic welding kit such as: http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php If you don't want to invest in the kit you may want to check with any local kayak dealers in your area to see if any of them can weld the crack for you.

12. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I just filled in some gouges, scratches, etc. on my Old Town Otter. I didn't have any cracks yet, no water getting in, but it was getting pretty beat up. I've really treated it rough on these shallow rocky streams around her and hauling my 235 lbs around, it drags bottom often :)

Still too early for judgement and as Ken G said, I'm worried about the adhesion. Only a few trips since, but so far so good.

CW