close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ensuring a safe release?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by acklac7, May 31, 2004.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

First off I would like to say what’s up to all the old ppl from GOFO..I have finally decided to come over to OGF as there just isn’t alot going on @ gofo these days. Any way I ran into a slight problem a couple weeks ago...I got a nice 21' hog smallie on a 4' bluegill....Only problem was that this poor smallie couldn’t get the bluegill down before I set the hook....The bluegill ended up lodged in its mouth. A 1/2 inch was hanging out of its mouth, and a 1/2 inch had already been swallowed (I wish I would have taken the camera..) I briefly tried to dislodge the bluegill but it wouldn’t budge, So I decided to release "miss piggy" with the bluegill hanging out of her mouth. She proceeded to swim at the top of the water for several minutes than disappeared.......Is it ok to release a fish in these conditions? or should I have forcibly removed the bluegill from its mouth & throat? thanks...acklac

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

That's really a tough call. In reality fish of that size are capable of eatting something that size. Did you have to cut the line or was the hook still in the gill? I'de say she swam off and spit it out or swam off and swallowed it, its hard to say.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think removing the bluegill would assure the bass surviving. I think it would be better to just cut the bluegill out rather than forcing it out and possibly damaging the big bass. Use a pair of cutters or pliers (crush the bluegill), I wouldn't use a knife.

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I tried to force it out/smash it but It was next to impossible. The entire head of the bluegill had been swallowed....and the tail fin was barley sticking out of its mouth...I cant imagine pulling the bluegill out from its throat...it would have seriously injured the fish..Then agian it seemed as though it was "choking" It didn’t fight an ounce when I brought it in...felt like a log. Like I said it swam at the top for a little bit then disappeared....hopefully it got the bluegill down and than swam

5. I had a small bass in an aquarium once. It was about 4-6 inches long. It would eat 2-3 inch minnows and swim around for minutes at a time with the tail of the fish sticking out of its mouth. The fish always lived and was later released into a pond. Then again this was a largemouth and the fish didn't seem to be lodged in there. I would say you did the right thing, as pulling the bluegill out would have drug its spiny fins against the grain in the mouth of the bass.

6. If you had pulled the gill out of the bass' throat you would have done more harm than good. That spiny fin had the gill held in place and it had no where to go but to the belly. It probably sat at the surface for a moment or two just catching it's breathe. I'm willing to be it got the gill down and is just fine this morning. By the way...nice catch! :)

7. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

I have seen small bass swimming around with large nightcrawlers hanging out of their mouths. I think when after a large meal the bass actually try and process half of the meal at a time to keep from bloating themselves. If you had pulled the gill out in reverse the dorsal fins could have damaged that great smallie. If she swam to the bottom it should be fine. Maybe the important thing to remember here is that you actually cared for the wellbeing of the bass. Lets all hope that there are more anglers out there like you and I.

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I have caught bass with the tails of shad sticking out of their throats so I would say that you did the right thing and let it go, it will be fine.

9. :) Good post TILESETTER---count me in!!

10. JBJ

JBJ

My thoughts are that you did the right thing. I also agree that it is a good sign that you have shown concern. Here's hoping more anglers get the chance to catch that fine smallie.

11. Now here it is I thought I was the only one who "cared for the fishes" when caught in an akward fashion and come to find out we're all a bunch of big babies!! :D I always wonder if those fishies are OK whenever I snag one, or it's hooked deep and I have to cut the line (I know the hook is supposed to rust out but...), or it has other fishes hanging out of it's mouth. I know just from catching bass, saugeye, and walleye with fish in their mouths/throats that your smallie is probably OK. Most likely not the first time she had something caught in her throat and will get it worked out. Now how about these fishermen who catch large species of fish and don't support them with 2 hands? I read something about larger species of fish, ie pike, muskie almost going into a paralyzed(sp) state when only supported under the gill and actually stretching the length of fish somewhat from their backs breaking!! :eek:

12. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

I guess first off if you need to make size limit and your not quite there put her back. I've never heard of anyone holding a fish by the gills to gain length like fishinaddict had mentioned and I agree that it's stupid to ruin a fish for braggin rights or whatever the case may be. But I guess it does happen. next time try and fold the tail to all of you back breakers out there and you will get your 1/2 inch your looking for. And still legal by ODNR to do so. Otherwise lets take care of them so our kids grandkids so on and so forth can learn and do he same. To be honest with you I feel that capital punishment shall be enforced on all gill stretcher's, gill netters, limit breakers, and all other idiots out there trying to ruin our waters. If I catch em I'll smash their rods. Anymore it seems like to obtain a fishing license you sould have to take a fishermans eticate course. AAAAHHH..............A men. Sorry I got off the subject. Just a little pis$ed these things happen. :mad:

13. Thanks for the reply Tilesetter as I have the same feelings as yourself when it comes to illegal activities, particularly when it comes to outdoors. I don't think most people who are holding these big fish by the gills are intentionally trying to hurt them as you see a lot of people that hold them that way. Has me looking at fishing shows in a whole different light. Anyway, I am pretty sure the article was in some In-Fisherman magazine. Don't know which issue but it was fairly recent. It talked about how people say the larger fish calm down when held vertically for pictures etc., but the reason the fish calm down is because their weight is stretching their spines and puts them into a paralyzed state. One contributing editor even talked about hearing popping sounds when hoisting a big muskie up under the gills and not supporting its mid section. If I recall, they even had a study where they measured a muskie while supporting the mid section and then measured the fish after hoisting up by one hand and the fish was 1 in. longer after the "one hand" method. Seeing as how most muskie fishermen C&R, I wouldn't say they are doing it to make the fish "legal" but more out of convenience. It did make me wonder how well a lot of muskie are doing throughout North America after being held like that and then released. Guess that's the "baby" coming out of me again. :)

14. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

I think that is why they need to lower the price on those Boca Grips or the like, then people could stay away from those teeth and support the fish with both hands and stay away from the gills. That would also help the bass from being supported from the jaw also. That can't be good on the fish either. I know it is supposed to subdue the fish, but just think what it would do to you. Yes, I have done it, but in the future will think about it more. I guess after you watch the shows you are "inclined" to represent the fish like they do. I think that it is the way the fish looks larger when held out at arms length that causes us to do it.

15. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

"Maybe the important thing to remember here is that you actually cared for the wellbeing of the bass. Lets all hope that there are more anglers out there like you and I"....Its sad because alot of people dont really care what happens to a fish after it gets off there line. Personally I dont think its worth taking the life of a fish for fun. And I do care what happens to it after it is released...I want it to live and get fatter so I can catch it again, I dont consider killing a sport. There are those that do, and I honestly dont have a problem with it (if you consume what you kill..without freezing it...which I will do from time to time)...and yes I use live bait so I guess some would say that I am killing fish. But I view it as "feeding" the fish. I NEVER take fish home that I catch on live bait, so Im really just "helping" mr flathead/smallmouth get dinner, and if I do kill the bluegill he will be consumed by something..eventually. Leaving the river "empty handed" is the name of the game when fishing with live bait...(and I hate posting cause I talk so much...lol...dont even get me started on the litterbugs)...please catch and release....(with care) acklac

16. bassboy

bassboy fishing addict

just read that if u hook a fish deep most of the time the muscle or organ around the wound will swell n push the hook out even before it rust :) Good to see people still care bout the fish 'cause we're definately out numbered. Especially u tailwater snaggers, I'll get u treble hook throwin trash! :eek:

17. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

i have to disagree with the holding a fish under the gill plate problem, its one thing if its a 50lb muskie, i dont think anyone can even do that. most muskie/pike fishermen measure their catches vertical because when you measure it by supporting the mid section you are not holding the fish straight. they are not trying to make the fish "leagal" especially if they are going to release it that makes no sense. it would solve everything if they would lay it in the boat and measue that way but you can safely measure big fish vertically. i had a 25lb pike that we measured the same way and the fish was safely revived and released to be caught another day. bottom line...just use care when handling the fish. and when you release make sure to get some water flowing through the gills so they are able to swim away. personally i lip all my bass and if it is a big one, which it usually isnt, you can support their body with the fingers of the same hand or your other hand. a fish's jaw is 10 times stronger compared to their body weight that a humans is so really if you use care there is no problems.

18. I agree with him, he usually doesn't catch anything large enough to make the difference.

19. I'll just let you guys read it. I got some things mixed up anyway. Lake trout held by the tail instead of a muskie by the gill, etc. ;)

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/if0404_Bits/index.html

Jaw bone connected to the skull bone. Skull bone connected to the neck bone. Neck bone connected to the back bone. Back bone connected to the... well you guys get it. :D

20. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

LOL!!!! you and me both there Dano!