close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Englewood Metro

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by HookUpFishOn, May 17, 2008.

1. So, I was fishing the metropark's ponds on old springfield today, and encountered a guy fishing with two poles, each of which were rigged with three hooks with minnows. I watched this guy putting 4" crappie into a bucket everytime he reeled his pole in. Needless to say, I was pretty mad. My question is, how should we, as responsible anglers react to this? It's legal to keep that size crappie if you really want to, but it's killing the fishing there. You can't report him for doing nothing illegal, but I just wanted to punch the guy in the nose. How would you guys/girls handle the situation?

2. MuskieLuv

MuskieLuv Soutwest Ohio Muskie Assc

Ask him if he is keeping those for his aquarium. He might get the point.

Just kidding, not sure you can say anything without coming across as a jerk. Just my two cents.

ML

3. I, personally, don't keep the little ones, but I know folks who do. Some folks like to fry them up whole and say the small ones are the best eating. I think everyone has the right to make their own choices.

4. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Stop fishing the metroparks, and leave it for the people who keep 4" crappies...

5. MushieLuv, I think you're probably right, and that's why I kept my mouth shut. As for the metroparks, wader, you hit it on the nose. As long as people are there keeping the dinks, that's all there will ever be. Not much of a point in going there.

6. There is a limit of the number of crappies you can keep from those ponds. If he was keeping alot you could always call the wildlife officer or MetroParks law enforcment. I think that number is 222-HELP.

7. thanks, dsabass. do you know where you can find the regs for metroparks?

8. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

If those were bass maybe you'd have a point but those are just stunted,overpopulated crappies,let it go dude,don't sweat it. What's killing the fishing there is the shallow, muddy lake,not the people fishing it. Go fish the stillwater if you want to catch nice fish,it's full of them.TC1

9. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I think he is referring to the ponds on Old Springfield, those i think are old gravel pits that Englewood metroparks acquired a few years ago. I think they wanted a place for folks to recreate, since the lake at Englewood dam is silting in. I've seen some nice largemouth and catfish caught there, but its been awhile since i fished it.

Stillwater does has some very nice crappie in it, so does the GMR in spots.

10. I have been over the damn in Englewood many times and wondered if you could put a boat in the lake? Anyone know what the rules are or if there is a ramp? it's a little 16' boat.

11. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I don't think u r permitted to put a boat in Englewood lake anymore, folks would get stuck in mud in their canoes. The park doesn't want to have to deal with rescuing folks.

The ponds on old springfield i remember folks using bass boats w/trolling motors, i haven't fished there in 4 or 5 years tho.

12. Yes, they were the ponds on Old Springfield, and people were driving around boats, EMO. TC1, I fish the Stillwater normally, I was actually taking my wife and a girlfriend of hers out that day. Good luck trying to get two 24 year old girls to wade;)

13. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Back when my wife was that age, i bought her a pair of waders and took her on the Stillwater. She complained about the brush and the bugs. Twenty years later, i still have the waders - could never sell them at garage sales, i think they are dry rotted by now!

14. Old SPringfield St? What ponds would you be refering to???

15. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Nope, Old Springfield Road. Its north of Englewood, take Rte 48 north to Union, turn right on Old Springfield.

16. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

What's funny is that's the same type of guy that would look at you funny if you threw a fish of the same size back. Can't tell you how many times I've fished around some people and gotten dirty looks for practicing selective harvest. Sometimes I wanna say, "Hey, I don't bother you when you keep a 6 inch crappie or a 10 inch saugeye. Leave me alone when I throw those back." Maybe next time you should just catch a bunch of those right in front of him and throw every last one back. That ought to get him heated!

17. TomC, chrsvic is right, northern part of the park. East on Old Springfield off of Rt. 48. Ponds will be on the south side.
    Columbusslim31, you're idea is a good one; silent protest.

Thanks!

18. hey now! not all girls are like that :) I would wade... if i had waders. Now you can't sell me yours since I know they're old & dry-rotted. lol If the rain keeps up I may just have to get some so I can fish the GMR at my normal spots. ha ha

So anyone want to fill me in on whats a good size to throw back? I normally don't eat what I catch since its usually catfish. But if I go to a clean pond I would eat it. I don't want to end up being a jerk out there! ha ha

19. Crappie 9" and bigger
    Rockbass 7" and up
    Cats up to a few Pounds
    Bass,Large and Small=Toss Back
    Eyes=15" and up
    Carp=Never
    Bluegill=6" and up

20. Don't worry about it hookup well get the wife wading before the summer is over. I had my wife wet wading the little miami last year, so it can be done. Thankfully I got the saugeye she caught out of her hands as she was trying to lip it to get the hook out. that would have probabaly ended her wading career before it got started.

I believe the rules for the old springfield ponds are electrics only.