close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

engine trouble

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by walleyehunter, May 22, 2005.

1. hey guys i need some help i have a 1977 115 hp mercury outboard engine. what happens is about one hour and a half into running the boat the engine will just shut down when it does shut down it will restart right away but would only run for about 5 or so mintues and then shut down again a complete loss of power it did this all the way back to the dock. does anybody have any ideas any help would be great. Larry

2. sportsman05

sportsman05 avid sportsman

it could be bad gas.
    it happened to me last year,to much moisture [water]in the tank,or maybe the sediment bowl has dirt in it.
    try adding some dry gas to your fuel tank,if that don't work clean out the sediment bowl.good luck.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

after 1 1/2 hours? could it be overheating? thermostat stuck?

4. Don't add dry gas. It doesn't do well in two stroke engines. It almost sounds as if it's over heating, but apparently your not hearing any alarms. A good carb cleaning sure wouldn't hurt, but it involves a lot more than cleaning the bowls.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

It may be your fuel bulb has gone bad.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good luck, I had a similar problem. I had a cylinder go down, due to a dirty carb running lean...not enough lubricant in the cylinder. It got scored, etc. Had almost the same symtoms you're describing. Compression was good when cold, bad when it got hot. Took them forever to find the problem. Wound up having it rebuilt. Mine is a 1985 Johnson 70HP.
    It could be a coil, the wires, plugs, etc too....