Emerald Necklace Steelies?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by GaryV311, Oct 18, 2007.

1. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

I'm going there Sunday morning. Is anyone catching steelheads there yet?

2. Typically more fisherman than fish. If we don't receive the forecasted rain (> .25"), better to fish the lakefront piers or walls. If we get the rain, we should get a good push of fish. The only problem would be if the water would be clear enough to fish on Sunday if we receive the rain.

A few fish are present, but not real active since the water is warm, clear, and very low.

3. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Where are the walls? I'm pretty new to fishing and dont know many of the spots.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

right at the ramp.can't miss em.

5. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

The boat ramp at Emerald? (not too sure if my lack of knowledge on this is fully understood haha)

6. The walls you are looking for are at all the Mouths of the rivers. Rocky,Lorain,Vermillion,Fairport Harbor, etc..... Steel hit it on the head regarding rain,warmth of water, clarity and so on. Great Post! The steelhead are stacking up right now from East to West along Lake Erie shorelines just waiting for the rivers to fill up so they can make their run up!

7. "the lakefront piers or walls"

I'm referring to the public walls (piers) near the black (lorain), chagrin (eastlake), grand (grand river/painesville), conneaut (near p.a. border). Other places not near rivers but still public piers or walls were a few steelies might be found include edgewater and east 55th/72nd (Cleveland).

The area at the mouth of the rocky is private, accessible by knowing someone who lives there or by boat. The wall in that private area is no trespassing for all.

8. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Very nice. Thank you for spelling all that out guys. I just got into fishing and really don't know a damn thing. No clue on the spots, or how to get there. You guys are Very informative. I'll let you know how I do. (That sounded a little sarcastic, but believe me, its not.) :p

9. Best bet for Sunday - drive east on I-90 to rte 2 to rte 44. Take 44 north until it ends (park). Once in the park, head east (left) until you can't drive any further. Walk to the beach, then east to the pier with the lighthouse near the end. Bring a rod that can cast well with some little cleo-type spoons. Start walking the wall and cast on the river (east) side. Good chance to catch steelies here.

Going to the rocky on Sunday might result in seeing a few caught. Even the guys with experience are only getting one or two. I'll probably hit the rocky for a few hours on Sunday, but not expecting to catch too much - just check out the bottom during these low water conditions.

10. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Thats the kind of layman points I need! Just a few questions... If I'm headed north on 44, east in the park would be my right. So do I need to go east or west? Second, I have a nine foot rod that can cast very far and a few spoons.. A silver one, and an orange and silver one. What does a cleo-type spoon look like, and should I put a few maggots on the end?

11. Little cleo spoon looks like a daredevil but is typically cheaper and has two colors on the face, split down the middle. 2/5 or 3/8 oz seems to be the size of choice. I'll go smaller when the water is very clear. You can get them most anywhere, including dicks, wal-mart, etc. I typically use a barrell swivel with mine since I'm not a big fan of line twist. I've caught them on spinners (vibrax, mepps, panther martin) as well.

A 9' rod is fine. That's what I use, with 6 or 8 lb test. No maggots added to the hooks - will just add the the line twist and will somewhat kill the spoon's natural motion. Most strikes are a reaction to the flash, not for what's on the hooks trailing the flash.

Once in the headlands park, east is to the right. Drive right as far as you can go without getting wet. Watch what other folks are doing and take mental notes. If you have some time after fishing, cross the river a bit to the south and go north again to find the short wall (east side of the river). It's a good alternative when the waves make the long wall (the one with the lighthouse) difficult.

12. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Well I picked up a cleo spoon. Orange and silver. Leaving at 6am. Wish me luck!

13. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

THANK YOU STEEL CRANIUM!!!!!!!!!!! First steelhead EVER! I was on the west wall of Grand River, about 100 yards before the lighthouse. 23 inches 6.8 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]