Elk River and Williams River, West Virginia.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by MSmith2004, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Anyone ever fished either of these rivers? My dad's family is from there so we are taking a trip down there for a few days. Gonna spend a day at each of these rivers. We are going for trout/walleye. Also, any suggestions on what to use for the walleye down there? The Elk river is coal filtered so it's crystal clear and I have no idea what would be a good walleye bait in that situation. (Let alone where to find the eyes.)

2. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

there are some nice muskie, walleye in elk. Use jig tiped with worm or leach. I use bucktail spiners. nice smallies. What part are you fishing?

3. That was quick! Umm...I believe he said Sutton. Not too far from the dam. We will have all day so if you know any good spots worth driving to let me know.

4. I am from that area ( Clay county ) Use to catch a lot smallmouth out of the Elk on small crawfish colored crankbaits,worms and plastic lizards.The eyes would also hit the cranks! A good all around bait would be a small floating Rapala in black and silver or black and gold. I always fished around the small town of Clay itself. Wish there was more work there, I would still be there. Loved being around a river like that.We always fished the deeper holes right below the riffles for the best results. Hope this helps !!:)

5. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

my friend lives over in Amma, we had some fan-tasic day