Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a group of guys that want to go elk hunting. 4 of us. We have talked about doing this for years and the years are catching up. Looking for recommendations for a place to go. I’ve starting researching places and it’s quite overwhelming. I doubt it’s a hunt that I’ll do more than once so we really want to make a good choice. Trying to keep the trip under $10,000.00.
Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
a good friend of mine went to Utah for Elk and hunted a trip of a lifetime may want to check any info on Elk hunting there he always wanted to go back but he passed away before doing so gone to young

Reactions: bobk

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Are you looking for a guided hunt, or self guided DIY hunt? I lived in Vail for awhile and killed a bull DIY style in the White River National Forest. I can give you tips of DIY, I don’t have any info on guides.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In 2018 we did a hunt with Snake River Outfitters. I would highly recommend them. Guided trip will be under 10,000. If you have any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
It is somewhat overwhelming Bob, a lot of factors to consider. The number one thing to consider is what kind of shape everyone is in? If you will go with a guide and he has horses or will transport you to a hunting area via side by sides or truck or will you be on foot? I am 64 now and want to make one more trip too before I am unable. Have been to Montana and Colorado. I believe most of Colorado is still over the counter tags? Montana for most areas is a draw. Utah is mostly draw and you will probably die before getting drawn there. (Hard to draw tags in Utah) Wyoming is another choice as well as New Mexico. If you go as a DIY, you need to think about how to get your elk out and back to camp? If 3-4 miles away without horses, a lot of trips tp pack out. Again, how old and what kind of shape are all the guys in? Hate to have a heart attack doing a pack out. I belong to Rocky Mtn Elf Foundation and they have outfitters that they recommend in the magazine. You guys will have to decide quick if going this year as a lot of the draw states have drawings in May/June. Most outfitters can guarantee tags if you outfit with them. Hope this helps. Ken

·
Registered
655 Posts
Are you looking at 40k for all of you or are you hoping to do $2500 each? Huge difference here or maybe I misread what you ment

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wyoming would be a good choice but with 0 points and a draw system you would have to book with a outfitter and find a unit you could draw with no points and you only have till jan. 31st to apply . New Mexico has no point system so everyone has the same chance but as a non res its a tuff draw and if you go thru a outfitter the draw odds are a little better and if you dont draw there are some landowner tags available but pricey . You might want to consider Idaho with a outfitter .

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the info. Muddy, it would be a guided hunt for us. ShotIbuck, the budget would be 40k for the group. Ken, age ranges from 45-63. So far none of us are in terrible shape. Lol

I’ll read up on the outfits you guys have mentioned and make some calls.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Well bobk.,,Sounds like you're headed in the right direction… I'm 47 and my cousin and I are both putting in to get drawn over the last couple years… We've already agreed, even at a younger age, a guided hunt would be best...I love camping… But even going on a three day camp out/fishing trip here in Ohio ends up in a half a mile long list of **** to bring! Lol. ...I couldn't imagine traveling to the other side of the country and having tens of thousands of acres to roam around on and not really knowing what I'm doing..Spending the money on a guided trip and having everything on horseback/atv's with guides will definitely be the way to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well bobk.,,Sounds like you're headed in the right direction… I'm 47 and my cousin and I are both putting in to get drawn over the last couple years… We've already agreed, even at a younger age, a guided hunt would be best...I love camping… But even going on a three day camp out/fishing trip here in Ohio ends up in a half a mile long list of **** to bring! Lol. ...I couldn't imagine traveling to the other side of the country and having tens of thousands of acres to roam around on and not really knowing what I'm doing..Spending the money on a guided trip and having everything on horseback/atv's with guides will definitely be the way to go.
If you need a third get in touch with me. I’ve been wanting to go for years. Now I’m retired (LE) and ready to go!

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
If you need a third get in touch with me. I’ve been wanting to go for years. Now I’m retired (LE) and ready to go!
Will definitely keep you in mind… We've been putting in to draw tags for three years now and No luck… I'm sure it will happen sooner or later...Difficult because you have to have all the details lined up and all your plans and money ready to go without knowing if you're actually going to go that year. One thing I do know is the more the merrier… And the easier things are with more people… Right now only two of us are planning on going

·
Registered
845 Posts
Will definitely keep you in mind… We've been putting in to draw tags for three years now and No luck… I'm sure it will happen sooner or later...Difficult because you have to have all the details lined up and all your plans and money ready to go without knowing if you're actually going to go that year. One thing I do know is the more the merrier… And the easier things are with more people… Right now only two of us are planning on going
Curious what state are you trying to draw in ?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Apply for the Kentucky lotto..... you never know..... that is almost appealing to me , being lake Cumberland is in the area ..... and would have a place to stay at the end of the boating season

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Curious what state are you trying to draw in ?
Montana...You can apply starting the first week of March and I think it runs for a month… Reapply for the deer/elk combo… Although I don't really care about the deer… A big game combo license is around 500 bucks for out-of-state

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Apply for the Kentucky lotto..... you never know..... that is almost appealing to me , being lake Cumberland is in the area ..... and would have a place to stay at the end of the boating season
Hahahaha!!!!!

The Kentucky elk drawing is an absolute fixed joke! I have very close friends That have been putting into that for over a decade now… No one's ever gotten a tag....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts