close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eliminating fish smell in car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. I have a Nissan Sentra and it smells like fish. I've solved the bucket problem by buying one with a lid. But the main problem is during steelhead season, when I keep the net in there all the time. I am going to buy a new car soon, and more than likely it will be another sedan. I put a lot of miles on my car, and gas prices can't justify an SUV or truck. Aside from just washing the net off when you are done fishing, is there anything else I can do? The net I have now fits inside the car, and I was thinking of just putting a garbage bag over the net, but I'm not sure how well that will work. When I get a new car, I'll probably buy a net that fits in the trunk, but from my experiences, the bucket I kept in the trunk smelled up the whole car anyways. You guys know anything else I can try?

2. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Betadine
    works for the wife. :eek:

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

The trash bag idea is a good one. Also like you said wash it off first before you put it in the car. To get rid of the smell they make a citrius (Orange) carpet cleaned that works really well. Think it smells now? wait until it get 90+ outside LOL.

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i tried the trash bag method over my net and its horrible..the smells is about 10times worst than without the bag..i would make sure its dry as possible before you put it in your car..
    i know my van smells like fish all the time..i just got used to it.. :D

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

When I was in college and taking aquaculture classes, it was always a big joke to take dead fish and hide them in peoples vehicals. One time we put a dead 4lb channel cat under a guys seat, but later in the night someone tipped him off to it and he removed it promptly before any smells could creep in. A few weeks later, I accidentally left my doors unlocked while at the hatchery. I thought nothing of it, the weekend went by and I didn't use my car to drive anywhere. This was sometime in late May. When I opened the door to my car I was instantly hit with the most putrid aroma I had ever smelled. After a thourgh inspection of my car, I found two dead hybrid bluegills wrapped in news paper tucked under the drivers seat. It took at LEAST a week to get the smell out maybe more. I left the windows open at all the times and saturated the carpet with frebeeze or any other deodorizer I could find. As the quarter drew to an end one last prank with the fish was pulled. We took a few dead yellow perch, wrapped them, and tried to find a great hiding place in another friends car. I found a nice little spot in this guys Grand Prix where the center console could be removed, revealing wires and other things inside of the car. We placed a few well wrapped perch, and closed it up. A few weeks into summer break, I e-mailed my friend to see how he was doing. When he responded I almost fell outta my chair. Apparently the power windows in his car no longer worked, and he was unable to find these fish. I felt a little bad for him, and told him where we had hid them. He had to leave his doors open most of the time, and use lots of frebreeze to get the smell out.

:D

6. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

archman, i drive a 1997 tahoe that i have wanted to trade in for new for a few years but since i do have to have a large suv i,m keeping this one why? 21mpg and 18 with the boat in tow, granted its not 40mpg like a small car but i,ll take it, my wife has a 2003 Kia Sorento a small suv and while i do like her car it only get 17 to 18 mpg i havn,t put a hitch on it yet but thats next, it will drop the mpg to about 14 to 15 i,m guessing.................. :cool: PS good luck getting the smell out of the car

7. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I use Borax on my fish cleaning board and on my hands to eliminate odor, ought to work on fabrics also.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Shoot man, I say Congrats! I wished I could catch enough fish so that my jeep would smell like fish!