close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electrical Question (switched outlet)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Do I run a 12/3 w/ground to an outlet to be switched?
    Do I tie the red and black with the power, break the tab on the gold side and use the common (white) for both switched and allways on plug?

If I'm way off just say "hire an electrician" :) :)

Thanks for any help

ribbit

2. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Search on the internet hooking up a swithed electrical outlet. There should be something on here.
    Fishcrazzzzy
    Call Bob Villa

3. Lowes, Home Depot and Mennards have books with pictures on wiring

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you're feeding from the switch,and running the switch leg to the outlet,just tie the common through to the outlet and hook to the silver side.run the switch leg to the brass side.poof,you're done...............unless you're wanting a split receptacle,then you need to run 3 wire and break the tab like you said.tie the black straight through to one side for always hot and use the red from the switch to the other side.are you confused now? ;)

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks Rick, That's what I thought, but I had the red and black confused ;)...

Good to see ya here, Have a GREAT New year

Ribbit

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you're welcome .and a happy new year to you.

7. like this

[​IMG]

this is for a single switch only if you have three wires red/black/white then i will assume that you have a three way switch meaning that you can turn the switch on/off from two locations. the red wire is the traveler between the two switches. if that is the case

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

that is a pimp drawing, it took me a second to figure out that it was done on a drawing program....you get major props for creativity!

9. Agreed...classic artwork, well done. :)

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

good example 33.
    that's the ticket for backfeeding from the outlet,but i figured he was feeding from the switch.

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks to everyone who offered help. Twinkle Toes must have been reading my mind because what he described was what I did.

The outlet is at the end of a run and is powered by the switch. I just wasn't sure if the the common was common to both outlets, but I now know it is...I tried it and it works :D :D

Thanks again
    Ribbit

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D frogger.
    twinkle toes is very good at reading just about everyone's mind but his wifes :rolleyes: ;)
    glad it lit up the outlet instead of you :eek: :D

33,you're right about the different situations.there are many ways to get the same result when it comes to wiring.again,good job on the backfeed diagram.

13. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

This kind of advice can be as already noted by catfishhunter33 on the risky side for over the internet.

I for one appreciate the fact that we don't now have "fried frog legs". :D .......did I say that? :D

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hey jim.not nearly as risky as getting married getting married 4 times :eek: :D ;)

15. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks Jim, that almost makes me feel wanted :rolleyes: ;)

I'd rather have someone tell me how to wire an electric chair than get married again :eek: :eek:

Ribbit

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D :D
    LOL frogger.that's just how i ended up with my wife.she TOLD me i was gonna marry her :eek:
    don't tell her,but i'm kinda glad i took her advise ;) :)