electrical problem/ ignition switch or short?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by 1morecast, Jun 12, 2008.

1. i have a 1993 lowe outboard with a 70 horse engine, bought it used. it has been running great but recently i have been having problems with it starting.
    example....it will start up great, ill turn it off. sometimes when i go to restart and turn the key i get nothing.....try it a few more time....nothing, let it sit, try it again, fires right up.....in the course of an evening of 10-15 restarts it will happen 2-3 times...i am no mechanic when it comes to electrical or engines for that matter.....so i'm not sure what it could be, ignition? loose wire, checked the battery cables they look fine, this all strted happening after a big lake erie day and the boat took a beating from the wave, at least this is the only thing differnt that i can think of.....so maybe a loose wire,could it be a starter problem?
    thanks

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Start with your battery connection. Make sure it is tight and clean of corrosion. Inside the cowl, follow the cable and there is a start solenoid. Make sure the connections are tight there and free of corrosion. (Disconnect the battery first otherwise you might do some arc welding) Likewise check the connections on the starter motor. Make sure the battery ground connection to the engine block is tight and free of corrosion.

If connections are clean and tight, the possibilities are:
    Defective ignition switch or wiring connection.
    Solenoid going bad.
    Starter motor has a bad spot on the armature. (Rebuild or Replace)

You'll need a volt/ohm meter to trouble shoot and a service manual to help you trace the wires.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

could also be your neutral safety switch located below the shifter control in the shifter box. it is a small button switch that only allows starting in neutral.

4. like the other guys said ,take them wires off the post clean everything , reinstall . theres a a starting relay some where could be going bad , and while your looking around put a litle lube on the starter shaft , where it twist and goes up to the fly wheel , [I;d bet on a loose/dirty conection.

5. I don't know about an outboard,But I just went thru a similar problem with my 305 in my I/O yesterday and today.cleaned the battery connections and the ground to the block, still was not the problem.I found the problem today,It was the main harness connection.Just a little crude on the prongs and it would not power up intermintinly.

6. Thanks! this site is great and the hepl you get is awsome......i will update when i figure it out.

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Good point.
    I totally blew by that... I had one where the mounting bracket of the switch loosened up in the shifter box.

8. i will check all the wireing like i was recomendedto , BUT.....it seemed that when i messed with putting in in and out of neutral a couple times, and pushing that button in and out i could get it to turn over.....is this a part that can be easily replaced? get it at a boat store or a hard to find part?

9. freyedknot

i had one that broke and the dealer wanted $35.00 for just the switch. i mounted a momentary on the outside for starting the motor from radio shack for $3.00.

10. how does one check the neutral safety switch to see if that is the problem?

11. fire that motor up in the driveway, FIRST TIME IT DOES it wiggle your shifting arm , could be its not going into neutral , might be at the control hookup at the motor not going into neutral all the time , question?? do you here a klick when this hapens ? check the starting relay. , if so.

12. freyedknot

the nuetral switch should be in the shifter /throttle box. it is a small push button that gets activated when the shifter is in neutral and allows starting. does the top of your shifter box come off? take the switch out and check it with a voltmeter.

13. Do you hear a clicking sound at the motor?? If so then you may have a solenoid going bad...if no clicking sound then you will need to break out the volt/ohm meter and start tracing the circuit starting at the solenoid. Battery connections also must be clean and tight. Get away from using wing nuts on the battery posts and start using nuts with serated lockwashers. When the symptom reappears wiggle the shifter handle in and out of gear while turning the key switch.

14. freyedknot

you wont have a clicking if it is the neutral switch ... start there and work back if there is no clicking at the motor.