close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electric smoker help

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by put-put, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Me and a couple of friends just bought a bradley electric smoker. Made some jerky and it just doesn't taste that great. Have made in a dehydrater with same marinate and tastes good. Anyone have any recipes for jerky or your favorite things to smoke. Also would like to know what smoke flavors, and temps and time(prob. be a little different due to smoker differences but can approximate time and temp.) We used mesquite flavor and started smoking right off the bat and i don't know if that was the problem or not. Someone thought we should have only put the smoke to it about the last 20 minutes or so??? We have hickory as well but didn't use them this batch any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Too much smoke can make it taste "bitter" I usually only smoke anything for the first half hour or so. The too much/stale smoke really makes food taste bad.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Try cherry and apple wood. You'll love it. You can get bags of it at Gander, and a lot of other places.

4. I only smoke jerky and smokies for 1/2 hour at a time and taste it before I stop smoking it...
    I never finish them in the smoker only smoke to add flavor...
    Too little smoke is better then too much is a good rule to follow...
    No secret recipies for me I will fill up the extra rack space with jerky/smokies when I am smoking something else like a chicken or turkey then take it out after the 1st 1/2 or so after a taste test...
    If you have a question let er' fly I'd rather not generalize but be specific to your questions...

5. Thanks guys! From what you guys said I believe we put WAY to much smoke to it :eek: . From what you guys say put the smoke to it 1st for just a little bit then just cook? I wii Definetly do differently next time. :)
    Has anyone ever done any fish. My uncle knows a guy and he smoked some Northern for him. Was excellent! I was thinking of doing for giggles a fillet or 2 of walleye.
    Also what is your favorite thing to smoke that you love to eat? Would love to try chicken turkey something different. Does anyone know of a good cook book on smoking? There is a bunch out there and want to pick a good one.

6. The best fish to smoke are steelhead/salmon because thye are an oily fish that retains flavor and stays moist more so then most...
    I like to do ribs, chix, pork, turkey the best and will also add bacon and cheese only during the smoking part to give it more flavor... When the smoke clears its time to tkae them out...

7. Hey Put-Put,
    I did the same thing on the first batch that I did. I think I filled the wood chip bowl and left the vent closed for the entire 4 hour period. I ate it anyway, but it was so smokey that it would almost burn my eyes to open up the foil that it was wrapped in. The amount of wood and the damper on/off time are the factors. Learn as you go and it already sounds like you learned the important part.

I found a link that helped me out.
    http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuehelp/f/f062904a.htm
    You can find alot more in his other articles that are linked at the bottom.