close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Electric Motor Help

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by WAKE ZONE, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I Have A 12 Foot Aluminum Mirrorcraft I Would Like To Put On Some Of The Electric Motor Only Lakes This Year. I Need A Motor But Don't Have A Clue On What Brand Or Pounds Of Thrust I'll Need. My Partner And I Will Be Fishing In It And We Both Average About 200 Pounds [if That Makes A Difference]. Any Help Will Be Appreciated. Thanks, Wake Zone

2. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Minnkota. As much thrust as you can afford, at least 40 lb IMO. No amount of thrust is too much when you need to get off a lake in a hurry.

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

You will want one powerful enough to pull you around the lake all day. 42 to 55 lb thrust should be good enough. I wouldn't go any lower than 42, I recommend the highest thrust you can afford though (being reasonable of course) Got a flier from bass pro shop and the have a 55lb thrust Minn Kota foot controled for $529 a 46 thrust for $279 and also a hand controlled 50 lb thrust which might be more what you are looking for at $189. They also have motor guides for about the same price. Both are good, I would get one of the two brands. If you don't have room for the foot control, that Minn Kota 50 lb thrust hand control is what I would get. Also make sure you get a good battery the largest you can find for all day use. I have had bad luck with interstate. Lots of guys like walmart brands and they are cheap.

4. Thanks, Would You Say That Two Full Charged Deep Cycles Is Plenty? Is There A Tool That Lets You Know How Much Battery Life Is Left While Your Still On The Lake?

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on both counts.minnkota can't be beat,and i wouldn't want any less than 40 pounds,and more would be better.i would also think about 2 batteries.as a backup or parelleled for longer running time.gas or electric,i hate the thought of running out of power out in the middle of a lake :eek: :rolleyes:

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Either type are good. I have both types. I my self like the motor Guide best. It seems to not draw as much from my batteries. Two fully charged batteries will be plenty. Hook them in series and you'll have one BIG 12 volt battery. Check a few pawn shops. My son bought a 50 lb. thrust for $80.00 looks and runs like new.

7. Some of the guys in my club joke about how much thrust my trolling motor is, but I just let them poke fun. My boat is a 15 and a half fiberglass and I have a 24 volt, 60 lbs. thrust MOtorguide. Would have liked to have gotten a MinnKota, but I couldn't pass on this EBay deal. If you can run two batteries, then do so. But MInnKota and MOtorguide offer diagrams to run in series or parallel if you have questions about setting them up.

Eric

8. A good looking Old Fart like you should'nt have any problem getting the Girls Rowing Team to pull you in off Hoover. :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you're right short one.in fact,i spoke wth them the last time they were out.once they recognized me,they said they would be more than happy to keep a close eye on me,and also gave me their phone numbers :D :cool:

10. I Sure Appreciate All The Feedback, It Was Very Helpfull. New To Ogf, It's A Great Place!

11. Dont connect 2 batteries in series that will become a 24 volt battery. Connect them parallel for 12 volts.

12. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Just read about this yesterday on cabela's web site

here's the whole article if you want to read it.
    click here

By the way misfit you really need to wear your glasses cause that rowing team is an all male team but I guess I shouldn't interrupt your fantasies. :rolleyes::D

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

oh no.you need the glasses.shortdrift has good glasses,cause he's seen them.if you're watching the guys,maybe you'd better stay in your end of the boat :eek: :p ;)

14. Parallel Would Mean Cables From Battery #1 To Battery #2 Seperate Cables From #2 To Motor?

15. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Parallel means connect the batteries pos to pos, neg to neg. With two 12V batteries in parallel you get 12V if you put a meter from any neg to any pos.

Series means pos of battery 1 to neg of battery 2. With two 12V batteries in series you get 24V across pos of battery 2 to neg of battery 1. I troll with two 6V golf cart batteries connected in series to get 12V.

16. Thanks A Lot, Steelmagoo

17. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I did a quick sketch, I'll try to attach it.

Attached Files:

18. The Images Are Just What I Needed. Thanks, I Was Thinking Something A Little Different. Probably Would Of Shorted Something Out. I Seen A Different Diagrahm That Had Dial To Change From 1,2, Or Off That Kinda Confused Me. I Beleive It Was For Marine Starting Battery's.

19. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

there are several factors in shopping for a trolling motor.
    1.Don't get too big for a 12 foot boat,a 74 lb thrust 24volt motor is waaaay to big!Your nose will sink from the weight of the motor,and 2 batteries in the back of a 12 foot boat is alot!I just took off a twenty something pound motor from my 16' v hull Sylvan to upsize to a 12 volt 52 lb motor.That is a better match.A 12 foot boat should be fine with a 12 volt 30-48max thrust.
    2.also you have to decide on foot control or transom tiller.Most 12 footers don't have a deck for a bow mount.Remember to keep weight in consideration.More thrust more weight.Same with batteries.
    3.shaft length is important,you don't want one that sticks way above the transom or bow,but long enough it doesn't come out of the water in waves.
    4.Variable speed is the way to go.They tend to last alot longer than standard 5 speed on batteries.Also if you oversive it and it's a 5 speed,on a calm day you'll move way too fast to fish even on 1.I have learned all this from alot of experience in boats and owning quite a few.
    6. I really like Minnkota better,customer service has been great and alot less problems in my experience.Although I had an Evinrude foot controlled motor on my 95 Stratos and it was great,compact,light but still very powerful.The bad thing is they don't make those models anymore.

Hope this helps!

20. Thanks,bassteaser1, I Sure Didn't Consider Shaft Length Or Over Powering. The Motor Will Be Transom Tiller Handle Type. No Deck For Foot Controls In Bow. The Boats Transom Has To Be Around 2 Foot Deep. I Would Guess And Say The Prop Would Sit About A Foot Lower ? Maybe Shaft Adjust Up Or Down, I Thought I Saw That On One I Was Looking At. Any Way Thanks Again. Ps. Minnkota Is The Way I Will Go.