close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

electric fillet knives?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freyedknot, May 28, 2005.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i just baught a rapala electric fillet knife . as i was cleaning up 5 eyes ,the handle was getting hot and it smelled like it was burning up. is this common or should i return it?

2. does'nt sound right to me, but maybe Swantucky will shout in since he has one. Mine is a different brand and sometimes the handle gets a little hot after charging but never cleaning fish

3. I have been cleaning fish with a electric knife for around 30 years now and never had one get hot maybe a little warm but never hot or smokin and i have cleaned a lot of fish over the years. I always buy the cheap knifes at Big Lots under 10 bucks or at yard sales have never had a proublem i think i would take it back. Good Luck Fishguy :)

4. Take it back. If it was old and sitting around and maybe got dusty it may smoke a little. But a new knife should not smoke. It shouldn't get hot either.
    I bought a rechargeable Rapala with two batteries and I can't clean 7 fish with them. Thinking on taking it back.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I have the rapala knife and it gets fairly warm if I go through 30 or so gills non-stop. Never smelled anything burning though.

6. Buy a boning knife and a steel..You won't be sorry...

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i returned the rapala knife to gander mtn. thanx again ogf guys. fot a good gerber fillet knife i will keep using. gander mtn has a 9inch gerber fillet knife for $14.99. seemed kinda high in price .i have a 6 or 7 inch gerber for about 5 bucks that i baught at rickards a few years back.

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Well I would have said the same thing until a buddy turned me on to electrics. I'm hooked.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

same here :)
    i bought a anglers best at gander last year,and wouldn't trade it for 100 regular knives.i haven't tried any other brands,but my experience so far,with mine,says it would be hard to beat.mine is the better cordless model with plastic carry case,2 sets of blades,60 minute run time,and 2 hour charge time.
    70 bucks,but i got mine on sale for 35:cool:
    cuts through those saugeye rib bones like they were hot butter.no problems yet :)

10. thats the same one the wife got me for Christmas. I'll agree it is sweet (3 walleye in about 4 min) during the run this spring. :D

11. I have the rapala model mentioned in the origanal post and noticed that if I am doing 5-6 walleyes it will get a little hot, but not too bad. I have not used it a whole lot yet so I can't comment on the durability. Maybe cleaned 20 or so fish with it.

I was a firm believer in the tried and true hand method untill I saw how much cleaning time could be cut using the electric. I probably will always have an electric from now on. It cut my cleaning time by 2/3s and I am not even that good with it yet.

12. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

And for those that think they are hard to use they really aren't, and I haven't even bought a fishing version yet (using the old electric used for carving the turkey at Thanksgiving). Hoping the wife/kids will be good to me on Father's Day ;).

Seriously, they are easy to use, sorry I can't speak to the problems the original poster is having but sounds like you need to return it.

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Those Hamilton Beach turkey knives are great for big fish, but man do they make swiss cheese out of crappies and perch.

I need to get a true electric filet knife...I saw one by Storm and Mister Twister at Gander. Those any good?

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

don't know about storm,but i've heard good revues on the mister twister.and some guys like 110 volt elec.,due to run time.but i love the convenience of the cordless.the major drawback is short run time/long charge time.that's why i got the one i have.you can clean a lot of fish in an hour :D
    on the initial charge(at christmas)i carved a turkey,an easter ham,2 limits of perch,and a half dozen channels,before i needed to charge.that was over a 4 month period :)